Why become a member? ×

New track using my new Farida

AdamWoodBass

[quote name='silddx' post='505001' date='Jun 3 2009, 08:02 PM']I like that actually, not usually into instrumental lounge music, but it's cool. Nice bass tone. How were you feeling when you recorded it? Were the twiddly bits improvised?[/quote]

Interesting question that. I guess I was feeling a bit mellow, been listening to a lot of groove based stuff recently. I'm trying to get away from overly complicated music, I like to dip into it every now and again but I suppose I'm trying to be a bit more organic with the stuff I'm writing nowadays. Yeah the twiddly bits were improvised on the fly, I'm still getting to know my way around the new bass. It's just a quick demo but I might revisit it and make something good out of it. I'm still getting to grips with the recording software, it's the Ableton Lite package that comes with the line 6 pod studio. Really cool but a lot different to what I'm used to (Pro Tools). The drums and the rhodes were done in Reason which I've used for years and it's really nice to be able to sync Reason to Ableton.

Why do companys endorse if you are not famous? Im not being rude,but i have never heard of you,your playing is very good but i can play at the same level of bass playing .Does this mean i get free stuff just for being a decent bass player. I have never heard of farida(excuse my ignorance),does anybody famous play there bass guitars? I wish i could get endorsed but i dont think the "public" has heard of me,you must have been in a band who charted or something at least.

Edited by YouMa

[quote name='YouMa' post='505220' date='Jun 4 2009, 03:44 AM']Why do companys endorse if you are not famous? Im not being rude,but i have never heard of you,your playing is very good but i can play at the same level of bass playing .Does this mean i get free stuff just for being a decent bass player. I have never heard of farida(excuse my ignorance),does anybody famous play there bass guitars? I wish i could get endorsed but i dont think the "public" has heard of me,you must have been in a band who charted or something at least.[/quote]

Why don't you contact Farida, tell them why you should be endorsed and ask them for a free bass/whatever?

Just because this bloke has a bit of success with his endeavours, I don't think there is any need to get personal.

And I suppose if you want to find out about Farida, you could always use Google.

Opportunities come up for people. Sometimes (usually?) its someone else, maybe this is not the time to suggest its somehow not fair? i.e. maybe it's pointless to moan about someone else's good fortune.

Farida are interesting. Chinese made and not the cheapest end of the market. This could be a sign of some really high quality instruments despite the Fenderlike name. I have a Chinese Eastman Mandolin that's not cheap and is quite awesome.

[quote name='YouMa' post='505220' date='Jun 4 2009, 03:44 AM']Why do companys endorse if you are not famous? Im not being rude,but i have never heard of you,your playing is very good but i can play at the same level of bass playing .Does this mean i get free stuff just for being a decent bass player. I have never heard of farida(excuse my ignorance),does anybody famous play there bass guitars? I wish i could get endorsed but i dont think the "public" has heard of me,you must have been in a band who charted or something at least.[/quote]

Most people haven't heard of me, I'm just starting out as a pro (whatever one's definition of "pro" actually is). I've basically reached a level where I feel competent enough to get a decent amount of gigs and recording sessions in to pay my bills. I don't think you have to be famous to be endorsed, at the end of the day if said company sees potential in you as a player then it is a worthy investment. For the record I don't get free stuff from them, I still have to pay for my gear like anyone else with an endorsement. As for the "public" knowing about you, there are quite a few people on this very forum with endorsement deals and I guess you've probably never heard of them either. It doesn't mean they're any less deserving of an endorsement. Basically I've worked really damn hard to get to where I am and I know that there's a hell of a lot more hard work to come but I am extremely grateful for the endorsement and its very encouraging to know that a large company sees me as a worthy investment. Really the point of having an endorsement is that you make people aware of a product and demonstrate it's quality; you are now aware of Farida so part of my work is done lol!

That was pretty cool, Adam. My only criticism, and I mean this to be constructive, is that the piece if about 3 minutes too long! Any producer worth his salt would edit that back to about 4.00 and fade after the change in the feel of the drum part - there is a lift there that sould start the lead out on a high. After that, there is nothing to maintain the listeners interest.

I love the opening groove, though.

[quote name='geoffbassist' post='507501' date='Jun 7 2009, 01:34 PM']hey adam, great to hear your tune mate, did you write it?
Your playings really come on since i heard you last, i really liked it :-) bass sounds great too, lets see some pics of it!
nice one Adam, cheers Geoff[/quote]

Geoff me ol' mucker! Hows it goin old buddy old chum?! Thank you kindly for the comments man, yeah I did write it, knocked up a backing track for an little idea I had for a while which turned into the main melody. I thought I should debut the Farida on it! I'll get some pics of it soon I promise, just been crazy busy the past few days doing studio stuff and a few gigs.

[quote name='bilbo230763']That was pretty cool, Adam. My only criticism, and I mean this to be constructive, is that the piece if about 3 minutes too long! Any producer worth his salt would edit that back to about 4.00 and fade after the change in the feel of the drum part - there is a lift there that sould start the lead out on a high. After that, there is nothing to maintain the listeners interest.

I love the opening groove, though.[/quote]

Ta for the criticism it really is much appreciated mate. I did think it was a bit on the long side but to be fair it was only a quick backing track using loops, I just forgot to check how long it was and I was having loads of fun recording it so when I noticed it was over 7 minutes I just thought "bugger it, it'll be reet!" Like I said though I'm really happy with the way it grooves so I intend to revisit it and turn it into a proper track. The recordings I've got on myspace including this one are just quick demos done in my bedroom. Eventually I'll look at the arrangements, write some proper solos instead of just meaningless w**kery and get them in the studio with a new funky jazz band I've been pulling together. Watch this space!

By the way, a word of advice for anyone wanting to do some decent quality bedroom recordings on the cheap:

1.Have a basic computer. Mine's about 6 or 7 years old and a heap of crap but does the job quite nicely. Some reasonable standard headphones/speakers are also useful, you can pick up a pair of Sennheiser HD 202's for about £20 and they're ace!

2.Buy a Line 6 Pod Studio GX for about £70 (might be a bit cheaper online)

3.Install all the freebie software. Worth baring in mind though that if you're a total newbie to home recording it'll take a little while to get the hang of the software but there's pleanty of tutorial vids on the tinterweb and after a while it becomes pretty simple.

4.Crack open a frosty (insert beverage of choice) and record til you're little heart's content!

If you want decent backing tracks though you do have to shell out a bit, I've got Reason 4 which I use for all my backing tracks and I believe it's about £200 but it's soooo worth it! I know a lot of Mac users recomend Logic but obviously it depends on what you can afford.