Why become a member? ×

Peavey 5150 Mark 1

I'm placing an ad for my guitarist.

He's looking to sell his 5150 mark 1. It's in 9/10 condition, and is very reliable. Full service history via Nobles of Cardiff, it's been well looked after.

It's located in Pontypridd and is available to demo if anyone wants a blast.

If anyone is interested drop me a PM.

Cheers

Tim

Edited by Basszilla

Bit much for me at the moment as I need some bass amplification too I'm afraid, but they're great amps. Did you record your CD using a 5150? certainly sounds like it. They sound mustard when cranked up. I've gigged with mine on a number of occasions and it blows the competition out of the water.

No worries Ci, looks like it's sold pending now anyway.

Yeah recorded the entire album with the 5150, they are great amps. In fact i've done a bit of recording with it recently on bass and it sounds evil! Too big to fit to my pedal board tho otherwise i would of had it :)

The combos are supposed to be beautiful sounding (less wattage yeah?) wouldn't mind hearing one of those in action.

[quote name='Basszilla' post='503205' date='Jun 1 2009, 07:19 PM']No worries Ci, looks like it's sold pending now anyway.

Yeah recorded the entire album with the 5150, they are great amps. In fact i've done a bit of recording with it recently on bass and it sounds evil! Too big to fit to my pedal board tho otherwise i would of had it :)

The combos are supposed to be beautiful sounding (less wattage yeah?) wouldn't mind hearing one of those in action.[/quote]

The 5150 is a monster amp. Yeah the combo is 60watts which belive me is plenty loud. I swapped the stock Peavey speakers for Celestion GK12-100 and a Celestion Classic Lead. Its the best amp for punk / metal / hardcore that I've ever heard or played through. The only thing that comes remotely close is an Engl. The clean sounds ain't fantastic but who the f*** wants clean guitar??

Exactly! Clean is for losers Ci! haha. You're right tho, they are best for full on metal, the clean channel is useless!

He's selling the amp as he's kind of come to the end of the road with it, been using it for over 10 years so is looking for a new sound...

[quote name='Basszilla' post='503205' date='Jun 1 2009, 07:19 PM']The combos are supposed to be beautiful sounding (less wattage yeah?) wouldn't mind hearing one of those in action.[/quote]
I think Eddie has a warped sense of humour... the combo weighs a bloody tonne and they gave you one poxy little handle on the top!!! :)

[quote name='Kongo' post='503266' date='Jun 1 2009, 08:26 PM']Hardcore / Metalcore guitarists CRAVE these amps![/quote]

Damn straight. Moreso than Rectifiers IME. Best guitar tone I've heard in a long time was a top line Les Paul ESP through one of them and a marshall cab. Sounded immense :)

I don't even play guitar that much and the thought is making me drool.

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' post='503548' date='Jun 2 2009, 09:33 AM']The 5150 is a monster amp. Yeah the combo is 60watts which belive me is plenty loud. I swapped the stock Peavey speakers for Celestion GK12-100 and a Celestion Classic Lead. Its the best amp for punk / metal / hardcore that I've ever heard or played through. The only thing that comes remotely close is an Engl. The clean sounds ain't fantastic but who the f*** wants clean guitar??[/quote]

LOL actually that was the downside when my guitarist went for one...We use clean sounds too and well...the Peavey only does grit...Distortion even on clean haha!
So he bought an Orange Rockerverb. :)n Unfortunatly...this amp BLEW my bass rig appart...it just couldn't keep up...So I had to change mine aha...still am!
Damn Orange amp...LOUD! :)

Great if you want the grit but it's worth saying that modern metal bands do use clean for sections too.

I'd try advertising this on BMTH and Architects forums at the moment as guitarists REALLY want these amps for that sound that is popular at the mo.

Edited by Kongo

[quote name='Basszilla' post='503649' date='Jun 2 2009, 12:01 PM']Exactly! Clean is for losers Ci! haha. You're right tho, they are best for full on metal, the clean channel is useless!

He's selling the amp as he's kind of come to the end of the road with it, been using it for over 10 years so is looking for a new sound...[/quote]

Funny that because I heard the same thing from a death metal guitarist who's band uses our rehearsal studios. He'd gone for a Peavey JSX after the 5150 as he said it was more versitile.

[quote name='tombboy' post='503689' date='Jun 2 2009, 12:25 PM']I think Eddie has a warped sense of humour... the combo weighs a bloody tonne and they gave you one poxy little handle on the top!!! :rolleyes:[/quote]

You are not kidding there. Mine weighs an absoloute ton and if it wasn't for the great sound I'd have got shot of it ages ago - but I love the sound so much. Hence the reason I want to get a 5150 head.

[quote name='ashevans09' post='503789' date='Jun 2 2009, 01:54 PM']Damn straight. Moreso than Rectifiers IME.[/quote]

I never got on with the Mesa stuff at all for guitar. The 5150 has a more creamy distortion as well as being warmer sounding.

[quote name='Kongo' post='504017' date='Jun 2 2009, 05:24 PM']LOL actually that was the downside when my guitarist went for one...We use clean sounds too and well...the Peavey only does grit...Distortion even on clean haha!
So he bought an Orange Rockerverb. :)n Unfortunatly...this amp BLEW my bass rig appart...it just couldn't keep up...So I had to change mine aha...still am!
Damn Orange amp...LOUD! :)

Great if you want the grit but it's worth saying that modern metal bands do use clean for sections too.[/quote]

Burn the heratic! Clean just ain't mean ha ha! Never really heard much of the Orange stuff but what I have reminded me of the Marshall type crunch sound which I just don't like one bit. I know they are legendary amps and so many bands have used them but I've used JCM 800s, 900s, DSL2000s, TSL2000s and never really got anything out of them that comes remotely close to the 5150. I won't even metion Marshalls, solid state stuff which to me just sounds horrible.

Edited by WHUFC BASS

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' post='504238' date='Jun 2 2009, 09:36 PM']Burn the heratic! Clean just ain't mean ha ha! Never really heard much of the Orange stuff but what I have reminded me of the Marshall type crunch sound which I just don't like one bit. I know they are legendary amps and so many bands have used them but I've used JCM 800s, 900s, DSL2000s, TSL2000s and never really got anything out of them that comes remotely close to the 5150. I won't even metion Marshalls, solid state stuff which to me just sounds horrible.[/quote]

:) Nay! This bassist from hell will never burn by the hands of a mortal! haha!

Gah Marshall...both myself and said guitarist HATE Marshall! All flabby and no real note def.
No, Orange are high gain amps that are starting to get used by more and more metal guitarists lately...Give such a HUGE sound and we play prog metalcore / mathcore but clean is good to have...I say clean it IS all valve so it's more crunch but the distortion channel is a monster!

The amp costs £1500 though BTW, most prob why they are legendary yet don't pop up often with local bands.
But I wouldn't compare it to a Marshall...they suck!
Anything detuned and they just fart and blow air.
But as I said, thanks to the Rockerverb I'm now not loud enough...It's REALLY loud!

Edited by Kongo

• 7 months later...