Why become a member? ×

Adding a second cab!

TGEvans

If they are both 8ohm (or 4ohm if your amp can run at 2ohms), then no reason why you can't... but unless you are playing some huge venues why would you; even then, your PA should be doing all of the work rather than you blasting your band mates and starting an onstage 'sonic war'! :)

I've been thinking about doing the same. I run a Hartke LH500 into a Hartke VX115 (having replaced the driver with an Eminence Kappa Pro) which gives me 350 watts at 8 ohms. That's enough for most gigs but occasionally it would be useful to have a bit more volume, so adding another 8 ohm cab would give me the full 500 watts, and the extra power and more speakers should do the job nicely. Warwickhunt is right about the PA, but only if you run the bass through it - we don't. Having read a number of threads about mixing cabs with different drive units, the way I understand it is that it's not always a good idea, so another 1x15 would seem to tick all the boxes - it's a (relatively) cheap way of getting more volume and there shouldn't be any unwelcome issues with your sound. Let us know how you get on.

[quote name='northstreet' post='502492' date='May 31 2009, 07:21 PM']I've been thinking about doing the same. I run a Hartke LH500 into a Hartke VX115 (having replaced the driver with an Eminence Kappa Pro) which gives me 350 watts at 8 ohms. That's enough for most gigs but occasionally it would be useful to have a bit more volume, so adding another 8 ohm cab would give me the full 500 watts, and the extra power and more speakers should do the job nicely. Warwickhunt is right about the PA, but only if you run the bass through it - we don't. Having read a number of threads about mixing cabs with different drive units, the way I understand it is that it's not always a good idea, so another 1x15 would seem to tick all the boxes - it's a (relatively) cheap way of getting more volume and there shouldn't be any unwelcome issues with your sound. Let us know how you get on.[/quote]

Read the OP again... TGE is talking about running a [u]pair[/u] of [size=4]2x15[/size]'s NOT a pair of 1x15's! :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='502498' date='May 31 2009, 07:29 PM']Read the OP again... TGE is talking about running a [u]pair[/u] of [size=4]2x15[/size]'s NOT a pair of 1x15's! :)[/quote]

I am so sorry - I should have made it very clear I was talking 'in principle', and offering a general agreement to the OP's idea without having direct experience of what he/she is wanting to do. That's why I asked him/her to let me know how they got on. I must remember the audience I am talking to in any future posts.

[quote name='northstreet' post='502505' date='May 31 2009, 07:39 PM']I am so sorry - I should have made it very clear I was talking 'in principle', and offering a general agreement to the OP's idea without having direct experience of what he/she is wanting to do. That's why I asked him/her to let me know how they got on. I must remember the audience I am talking to in any future posts.[/quote]

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't having a dig at you or the OP :rolleyes:

Doubling up on cabs is generally a far better option than adding more power and something that I'd heartily recommend, especially if you are keeping to the exact same cab. However what I was trying to get at was that there is a point reached where the number of speakers and volume starts to become counter-productive as everyone else in the band starts upping their game in order to be heard; mush and anarchy ensue. :)

[quote name='TGEvans' post='502386' date='May 31 2009, 12:26 PM']Hey all, anyone here run two 2x15's together???? thinking of adding another 2x15 to my existing 2x15!. any feedback would be cool,tim[/quote]Get a better 2x15, or better drivers for the one you have, or a decent PA as noted above. A really good 2x15 will handle any gig if the PA is right.

[quote name='ashevans09' post='502510' date='May 31 2009, 07:48 PM']Aaaaah just go the whole hog and get one of these bad boys...

[/quote]

This is Doom

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='502588' date='May 31 2009, 09:30 PM']Get a better 2x15, or better drivers for the one you have, or a decent PA as noted above. A really good 2x15 will handle any gig if the PA is right.[/quote]

This is not Doom