Why become a member? ×

Build quality...?

Ajoten

Defo, some basses are just 2 blocks of wood... with a bit of work done on them...And some of them have pretty fancy names...

If you like the feel of it in your hands and you get the sound that you like... then that is a good bass for you...

You can invest in fancy woods...if that is your thing...and you can get bases that are pure works of art...

Does that make it a better bass....? not really..not if it doesn't do what you want it to do...

[quote name='JTUK' post='502550' date='May 31 2009, 08:48 PM']Defo, some basses are just 2 blocks of wood... with a bit of work done on them...And some of them have pretty fancy names...

If you like the feel of it in your hands and you get the sound that you like... then that is a good bass for you...

You can invest in fancy woods...if that is your thing...and you can get bases that are pure works of art...

Does that make it a better bass....? not really..not if it doesn't do what you want it to do...[/quote]

I went for all these modern concepts...Fancy, exotic woods...18volt active 3 band EQ...drew a line at fanned frets...
But you get the picture...anyways they didn't work for me and off they went...now I cannot afford such gear again but my cheaper gear sounds better than said basses ever did!

Nowerdays I just go for tried and tested models. If it sounds good I'm not bothered about the wood.
LOL I mean, MusicMan use Basswood for their new Bongo 6-string y'know...Basswood!
Can't be that bad then.

[quote name='Ajoten' post='500260' date='May 28 2009, 08:54 PM']Of course, and I would if I could find a shop within however-many-miles that stocked Dirnt, Hoppus, P5, 50s Classic, Reg Hamilton Jazz, Power Jazz, Precision Aerodyne, Epi Jack Casady, any Gibson at all, Rick Laredo, Yam Attitude (see where I'm going with this?)...

I can play a Squier. Indie or Vintage before I buy it, and that's about the extent of the choice. Ultimately I'm going to have to take an online punt and just send it back if it's rubbish, so I'm trying to reduce the shortlist by theory rather than practice.[/quote]

I really can't believe it. Wandered into my local shop to buy some strings and there was a Dirnt hanging on the wall! And in the correct colour! (sunburst)

The neck felt ideal - but I believe quality grumbles have been about a possible tendency to warp. Seemed well-finished APART FROM the scratchplate not being flush to the body by the pickup. Not enough screws to hold it down I guess.

OT, it was the body weight not neck chunkiness that was so striking! I did the Pepsi Challenge vs a US P-bass, and I reckon the MD sounded slightly sweeter and no less well-made. Ace.

i took a risk and ordered a MIM 2009 standard P online (cheaper and colour/neck that i wanted than the shop quoting 2 months wait), plays lovely, ok there is alotf choice around the £400 mark with more features, but this bass is not bad if you want a basic fender, and the MIA standard is £500 more!

• 2 months later...

[quote name='Eight' post='500808' date='May 29 2009, 12:37 PM']Buy a Warwick. I just inadvertently smashed (and I do mean smashed) the chandelier with the headstock of the Vampyre. Not so much as a scratch in the paintwork.[/quote]
Here we go again...

I just whacked the headstock off the corner of a wall in a door way. :) Looked at the poor thing and saw some horrible white marks which I could only assume were paint chips down to the wood... except they wiped off... turns out I've taken a good chunk out of the wall and once again the bass has come away from the battle unharmed and completely unblemished. Thank f*ck!

All hail German build quality.

Edited by Eight

To be fair, MIJ instruments are great, but the prices are much higher now.

In addition, comparing my 2 USA Fender's and MIJ P Bass, the USA basses are MUCH better. Plus the cases are excellent....top of the range.

Its not all just in the finish/neck as well...the tone on the USA P bass is SO much brighter/chunkier/bassier and with a lot more punch.

Obviously I cant really compare the J to the MIJ P.

Im not having a pop at the MIJ, they are good, but they obviously cater to a lower price bracket.

As others have said, there are some great Fenders out there and some clunkers. And the person that mentioned Thomann was right on the ball. They offer a money back guarantee even if you don't like the instrument. Thomann orders usually arrive pretty quickly as well. I've used them a couple of times. Best of luck with it all!

Rich.

[quote name='Eight' post='566317' date='Aug 11 2009, 10:10 PM']Here we go again...

I just whacked the headstock off the corner of a wall in a door way. :) Looked at the poor thing and saw some horrible white marks which I could only assume were paint chips down to the wood... except they wiped off... turns out I've taken a good chunk out of the wall and once again the bass has come away from the battle unharmed and completely unblemished. Thank f*ck!

All hail German build quality.[/quote]

Maybe you should buy a Status (headless obviously) :rolleyes:

Edited by martthebass