Why become a member? ×

CIJ v MIJ

Mzungu71

Afternoon all,

I've had a look round the net but can't quite seem to find what i'm lookin for so thought you knowledgeable ladies and gentlemen would be able to help.

Could someone (in words I can understand) explain the difference between Made in Japan and Crafted in Japan for Fender basses?

Is there a difference in quality?

Thanks

Gary

[quote name='Mzungu71' post='497301' date='May 25 2009, 02:49 PM']Afternoon all,

I've had a look round the net but can't quite seem to find what i'm lookin for so thought you knowledgeable ladies and gentlemen would be able to help.

Could someone (in words I can understand) explain the difference between Made in Japan and Crafted in Japan for Fender basses?

Is there a difference in quality?

Thanks

Gary[/quote]

Simple answer... One was made before the other! :)

[quote name='neilb' post='497340' date='May 25 2009, 03:56 PM']Hi mate

Have you done a "search" for MIJ and CIJ?

There are several threads about the differences.[/quote]

Hi, no not on here, have on the wider web though will see what i come up with
Thanks

It's just to designate which factory made what - MIJ is Fujigen Gakki, who got the original contract for Japanese Fenders (meaning most older ones are Fujigen) and CIJ for production from other factories, predominantly Dyna Gakki & Tokai Gakki. Tokai is supposed to be for the Japanese market only, but obviously plenty of those end up over here anyway!

Quality-wise, there's nothing really to choose between them, by all accounts.

Jon.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='noelk27' post='497445' date='May 25 2009, 07:43 PM']MIJ can be found on the very old and the very new - now that Fujigen Gakki are again manufacturing for Fender Japan.[/quote]

I've noticed that. Never knew that production was back at Fujigen. What's the story?