Why become a member? ×

Anyone ever heard this album before.......

bass_in_ya_face

Prejudice & Pride by Private Lives.

Rare as chicken's teeth but I got a copy and listening to it I was immediately drawn to how fantastic the bass was and after further investigation....step forward Mr Nick Beggs. A seriously under rated player IMHO.

He totally makes the album in much the same way as Pino Palladion makes No Parlez. (except for the abomination that was Paul Young's take on 'Love Will Tear Us Apart', nothing could save that!)

='bass_in_ya_face' date='Aug 28 2007, 11:04 PM' post='52025']

Rare as chicken's teeth but I got a copy and listening to it I was immediately drawn to how fantastic the bass was and after further investigation....step forward Mr Nick Beggs. A seriously under rated player IMHO.

He totally makes the album in much the same way as Pino Palladion makes No Parlez. (except for the abomination that was Paul Young's take on 'Love Will Tear Us Apart', nothing could save that!)

MB1. :)
+1
Theres more to Nick than "Too Shy" indeed..... genuine nice guy sent me a signed copy of his Ellis Beggs and Howard cd.Check out "Big bubbles no troubles" hes a great Chapman Stick player too!

[quote name='MB1' post='52044' date='Aug 28 2007, 11:33 PM']='bass_in_ya_face' date='Aug 28 2007, 11:04 PM' post='52025']

MB1. :)
+1
Theres more to Nick than "Too Shy" indeed..... genuine nice guy sent me a signed copy of his Ellis Beggs and Howard cd.Check out "Big bubbles no troubles" hes a great Chapman Stick player too![/quote]

Yeah i've got both EBH albums (yes they did two, check his website) and have spoken to him via email...

If John Paul Jones uses him when he tours, that's good enough for me!

[quote name='Cantdosleepy' post='52173' date='Aug 29 2007, 09:45 AM']Has anyone ever covered Love Will Tear Us Apart and had it not sound horrible?[/quote]

Personally I think both the versions by [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nouvelle-Vague-Vol-1/dp/B00018D3JQ/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/202-5615454-1361456?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1188396170&sr=8-1"]Nouvelle Vague[/url] and [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Melody-Mountain-Susanna/dp/B000GUJYVU/ref=sr_1_1/202-5615454-1361456?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1188396218&sr=1-1"]Susanna And The Magical Orchestra[/url] are pretty good.

YMMV

[quote name='BigRedX' post='52363' date='Aug 29 2007, 03:04 PM']Personally I think both the versions by [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nouvelle-Vague-Vol-1/dp/B00018D3JQ/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/202-5615454-1361456?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1188396170&sr=8-1"]Nouvelle Vague[/url] and [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Melody-Mountain-Susanna/dp/B000GUJYVU/ref=sr_1_1/202-5615454-1361456?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1188396218&sr=1-1"]Susanna And The Magical Orchestra[/url] are pretty good.

YMMV[/quote]

I have a pretty woeful version by The Cure somewhere on a bootleg