Why become a member? ×

Fender or Squire Jazz?

jezzaboy

Need help quick! Buying ramorraw!

Just sold a mex jazz but am missing it already. Every home should have one so am looking for one. Now here is the tricky bit.

I like the white Classic 60`s bass in white with the old style headstock and tunning pegs, but it`s £635. Has anyone got one/had one?

Is it worth the cash to have fender on the head or should I get the white squire cv bass at £279 which seems to be the dogs dangalies?

Jez

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='495457' date='May 22 2009, 06:26 PM']Need help quick! Buying ramorraw!

Just sold a mex jazz but am missing it already. Every home should have one so am looking for one. Now here is the tricky bit.

I like the white Classic 60`s bass in white with the old style headstock and tunning pegs, but it`s £635. Has anyone got one/had one?

Is it worth the cash to have fender on the head or should I get the white squire cv bass at £279 which seems to be the dogs dangalies?

Jez[/quote]

I can't comment on those particular models, but having recently bought a Squire VM fretless and a Geddy Lee Jazz, I can comment on the quality.

The Squire is a perfectly acceptable bass, well finished with decent hardware and a good range of sounds. It plays comfortably and, for the money, is a very good buy indeed.

The Geddy Lee feels more solid and sounds incredible, it plays like a dream. The finish is about the same, but the hardware and pickups are much, much better.

The Fender is heavier with a slightly higher output.

If you intend to get a lot of use out of this bass, buy the Fender.

I have played both the MIM and the Squire, and to be honest i couldnt tell the difference...Its great for funky blues scale fingerstyle, and a nice tone when digging in...The Squire Jazz is a greatly improved instrument, over its older models...

I would buy the Squire, then MOD it with Lindy Fralins a Badass and some DR Highbeams.....Now were talking...You would prob (IMHO) find that the natural sound of a Squire jazzez body wood, is capable of much more than what the stock pups limit it to...

Play them both as much as you can..Not that ive ever bought a bass i really got to know first..Go for what ticks all your bass playing boxes..

This is my usual mental response to trying a new bass..

Look
Comfort
Weight
Feel
Touch
Tone
Punch
Sustain
Build Quality

In that order..I think if you like every one of these criteria in a bass, you wont go far wrong..obviously there not all attainable...depends what you like most.....

I may add, not attainable to this price range.... in the respective opinion of others.. :)

Edited by bubinga5

The difference between Squier and MIM Fender now is almost none...Other than hardware.
The build and feel are the same to me.
I Love my Squier Jazz and don't feel the need for a Fender. I can change what I don't like and keep the Squier name on the headstock.

obviously this is a lot of money, but recently my bass teacher (who owns a verrry nice s-sky) went out and bought a mexican squier jazz for international stuff and he's proper world class. If you're intending on recording a lot, then the fender, but for gigs, no one is going to notice a squier vs a fender

Even for recording, consider the Squier.
Most things are coloured in the studio anyways...If you can't see the Squier it could be anything.
But I'd personally be proud to get a decent sound out of a Squier, which is easy these days.

Tell me if I'm wrong here but have we not all been in a shop, picked up a £900 bass and thought "I don't like that" Picked up another at £299 and thought "that's spot on" I think you need to try as many as possible and buy whichever one that you don't want to put down. You can always mod it later if you choose.

[quote name='leschirons' post='496945' date='May 24 2009, 11:45 PM']Tell me if I'm wrong here but have we not all been in a shop, picked up a £900 bass and thought "I don't like that" Picked up another at £299 and thought "that's spot on" I think you need to try as many as possible and buy whichever one that you don't want to put down. You can always mod it later if you choose.[/quote]

Totally agree; funnily enough thats what i did when i bought my Status, (i was 17 at the time)
My Nan; the fantastic old lass had done that whole put money aside for her grandchildren thing...As a result £2100!!, so of course i tried out nearly every bass between 1000-2000, then saw a yonks old slightly beaten second hand status graphite in the corner, asked to try it out, 10 minutes later walked away with and Energy and only 350 quid out of my account for more gear Haha

That music shop must have been so pissed off with me lol

Edited by Greene-Mann