Why become a member? ×

Squier Standard P-Bass Special V

rjb

Just tried out a Squier Standard P-Bass Special V and was hugely impressed for the price. Obviously the pickups could be upgraded, but the string spacing and neck were really nice.

Have been on the lookout for a fiver but have been changing my mind over whether to splash out on a higher end bass (Thumb 5, most likely). However, it now looks like I might actually buy a Fender-style bass! :)

Anyone else tried one of these?

Cheers-

[quote name='rjb' post='494385' date='May 21 2009, 03:56 PM']Just tried out a Squier Standard P-Bass Special V and was hugely impressed for the price. Obviously the pickups could be upgraded, but the string spacing and neck were really nice.

Have been on the lookout for a fiver but have been changing my mind over whether to splash out on a higher end bass (Thumb 5, most likely). However, it now looks like I might actually buy a Fender-style bass! :)

Anyone else tried one of these?

Cheers-[/quote]
Didn't even know it existed! It's not on Squier's website, so I guess it's a discontinued model. If you liked it for the price, snap it up -- it probably won't be there much longer!

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='494452' date='May 21 2009, 04:47 PM']Didn't even know it existed! It's not on Squier's website, so I guess it's a discontinued model. If you liked it for the price, snap it up -- it probably won't be there much longer![/quote]

It is...they do a Jazz V now.
These have been discontinued for a bit of time...not bad basses you get the classic 4-over-1 tuners to keep the neck nice and heavy and you get a P/J config.

For the price you can't really loose so go for it man!
I one day got to that thinking when I bought a Squier Jazz bass december last year and fell in love with the Fender Bass design after hating it for so long...they are just so comfortable!
If only they put in the features I want!!!

I'm using it in practise at the mo, it's a Squier but it's real good and it's a Jazz bass. (called Jizzy-B )
But that P-bass special is cool too! Best thing about Fender basses is, if you wanna change how it looks you don't need a paint job, the scratch plate can instantly change it! :)

Edited by Kongo

Yes, I've discovered that it is discontinued, but there are still a few out there. I just bought one from Dolphin music in Walnut satin. Should look sweet next to the Thumbs... ^_^

I'd tried the Jazz V, but I much preferred the P because the neck is wider, with string spacing that seems almost identical to that of a 4 string.

We'll see how we go when it gets here....

I'm not sure if mine are the "Special" ones,but I have two Precision V's.

I bought both second hand for about £100 each. I have upgraded the Pups in one (note they are J pups) to Wizard customs and the other one is in bits whilst I decide what to do with it as a project.

With a bit of a setup, I reckon they're great! I love the cricket bat sized neck (suits my big hands) and the look. I don't think a lot of people get on with the necks though - hence why they can be found cheap.

With my project one, I'm intending to carve the body out to fit a proper P pup. That's why I bought two - I'll always have the first one to go back to if I mess it up!

They get my vote!

[quote name='rjb' post='494385' date='May 21 2009, 03:56 PM']Anyone else tried one of these?[/quote]
Yes, I bought one, then sold it shortly afterwards when I got a Tsai, which was far more playable. I don't rate the neck on the Squier, it's usable but not good.

[quote name='tauzero' post='495159' date='May 22 2009, 01:45 PM']Yes, I bought one, then sold it shortly afterwards when I got a Tsai, which was far more playable. I don't rate the neck on the Squier, it's usable but not good.[/quote]

Well, the neck felt pretty good to me, especially for less than 200 notes! :)

What's a Tsai?

Edited by rjb

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='495216' date='May 22 2009, 02:45 PM']This perturbs me. It looks like a P, but it's got J pickups. Surely it will sound more like a J than a P? To me, a P without a P pickup is not a P.[/quote]
A P with J pickups would still [i]feel[/i] like a P, in terms of body and neck, even if it sounds like a J. And that's got to count for something, right?

[quote name='rjb' post='495190' date='May 22 2009, 02:13 PM']Well, the neck felt pretty good to me, especially for less than 200 notes! :)

What's a Tsai?[/quote]
Antoniotsai, made in Vietnam, sold through ebay. I don't think his current ones are quite as good though. Still better than the Squier though.

[quote name='rjb' post='495293' date='May 22 2009, 02:57 PM']Well I just found out that they have no more in stock!!

What's the Jazz V Deluxe like? :)[/quote]

There meant to be very nice basses from what I hear and they are absolutely stunning looking as well , if I had the cash and was after a 5 string bass I would have no reservations about buying one

Here's my two - both originally in the green. Note they're both fives, before Wayne accuses me! :)

One has Wizard custom J pups in it, the other is stripped of paint, waiting for me to do something with it. I haven't done a build thread as I'm scared I'll make a s**t job of it and embarrass myself - at least I'll have the other one to go back to!

I will do a thread if it works out well!

[quote name='Huge Hands' post='495466' date='May 22 2009, 06:39 PM']Here's my two - both originally in the green. Note they're both fives, before Wayne accuses me! :)

One has Wizard custom J pups in it, the other is stripped of paint, waiting for me to do something with it. I haven't done a build thread as I'm scared I'll make a s**t job of it and embarrass myself - at least I'll have the other one to go back to!

I will do a thread if it works out well![/quote]

Haha that 1st one looks awesome, good luck with the refin on the other one.

Seriously this thread is making me a little angry, I really want my old bass back [b]not one like it,[/b] I hate thieving scum :@

/deep breath

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='495491' date='May 22 2009, 07:18 PM']....good luck with the refin on the other one.[/quote]

That's what's worrying me, I've been watching your exploits with interest!

Next step is to take a router to it - I want some battery boxes and a P pickup in it. Sounds easy, eh?

If you've seen the DIY in my house, you'll know why I'm apprehensive.....

[quote name='Huge Hands' post='494500' date='May 21 2009, 05:34 PM']I love the cricket bat sized neck (suits my big hands) and the look. I don't think a lot of people get on with the necks though - hence why they can be found cheap.[/quote]

What is this I hear about Warwick necks being huge? Beofre I came here the ones I played, Corvette and Streamer, I never noticed the neck to be huge.
Very playable...TBH I don't think I even think neck any more, it seems more of a modern obsession to think about neck size IMO.

I'd love a Warwick but I never noticed the necks being chunky I just liked them...how odd!