Why become a member? ×

Sting's Early Bass

bass_in_ya_face

I was watching a TOTP2 special last night about the police and I noticed in several videos Sting had a red fretless bass that was shaped like a Gibson Thunderbird but it was really ugly.

Anyone know what this was as i'm a bit of an anorak when it comes to bass spotting but I couldn't make out what it was

look up "de doo doo doo, de daa daa daa" on youtube and it's on there.

[quote name='bass_in_ya_face' post='51692' date='Aug 28 2007, 12:24 PM']I was watching a TOTP2 special last night about the police and I noticed in several videos Sting had a red fretless bass that was shaped like a Gibson Thunderbird but it was really ugly.

Anyone know what this was as i'm a bit of an anorak when it comes to bass spotting but I couldn't make out what it was

look up "de doo doo doo, de daa daa daa" on youtube and it's on there.[/quote]

It's a Hamer - he and Andy Summers played various Hamers throughout the 80s. Was it an 8-string? I've seen pics of Sting with a Hamer fretless 8 string Explorer. There are also photos of him with a red fretless maple fretboard (do fretlesses have fretboards?!) black scratchplace Precision which is pretty tasty too.

Don't remember the Hamer, and the fretless Precision I mainly remember seeing him with was a natural / black plate / maple board - very cool. Then he had a fretless Ibanez Artist Musician - I bought one at the same time and wish I still had it!

yeah, Hamer fretless 8-string.

I was watching how he had to hold the neck up- serious neck-dive with the 8 machineheads and the explorer body.....

I also wondered why he was playing a strat in the walking on the moon vid- did he only have his guitar with him, not any bass?

[quote name='SJA' post='51844' date='Aug 28 2007, 05:18 PM']yeah, Hamer fretless 8-string.

I was watching how he had to hold the neck up- serious neck-dive with the 8 machineheads and the explorer body.....

I also wondered why he was playing a strat in the walking on the moon vid- did he only have his guitar with him, not any bass?[/quote]

Yeah I noticed the strat in that video also..I know he was originally a lead guitarist but i'm sure there is a story behind that video somewhere.