Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tone pot mid

elom

I'm struggling to find a way to describe this so I'll just keep typing and hope that some sort of sense emerges!

On my performer the tone pot has a kind of 'click' at the mid-point. So if I'm turning it from min to max, halfway through there I feel a sort of click which tells me that is the middle. I'm not doing a good job of describing this and my other basses have not had it. I quite like it, its not a big deal but in helps to give me my barings, especially when playing live.

Is this a common feature and does it have a name? Or do you not have the slightest clue what I am blathering on about?!

Thanks

elom

[quote name='OldGit' post='492766' date='May 19 2009, 10:15 PM']Normal for active basses' tone pots. It seems to be the "neutral" point between cut and boost ...[/quote]

Spot on Si. It is the point at which the Pot doesn't have any effect. When you wind it one way it Boosts and the other way, Cuts.

[quote name='BassBunny' post='492771' date='May 19 2009, 10:23 PM']Spot on Si. It is the point at which the Pot doesn't have any effect. When you wind it one way it Boosts and the other way, Cuts.[/quote]

Generally yes, but not always?
The Sadowsky preamp is all boost isn't it?
I suppose that means that their knobs don't have a centre-dent!

Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='492821' date='May 19 2009, 11:30 PM']Generally yes, but not always?

Si[/quote]
Generally any pre-amps that are boost only don't have mid-detent.

[quote name='Sibob' post='492821' date='May 19 2009, 11:30 PM']Generally yes, but not always?

Si[/quote]

Yup, I had a bass with a Sadowsky VTC circuit for a few weeks and there was no cut... and no indents, detents or pepsidents involved ..