Why become a member? ×

Preamp Pedals?

Davy

I've been using a Zoom B1 four as my main preamp direct into the mixing desk without backline but I'm finding that the EQ section is a bit limited without delving into sub menus.

I've been thinking about going to a standard preamp pedal but wondered what everyone's views were on sweepable mids vs High/Low mid controls?

I've shortlisted the following pedals and wondered if anyone has had any previous experience with them:

TC Spectra drive.

MXR M81

NUX Melvin Lee Davis

Davy,

Zoom B1 Four as a Pre-Amp...

What effects, settings, patches are you using?

Try creating a couple of your own patches, of just the SansAmpAlike or MXRish, and maybe some patches with just an Amp/Cab sim at various settings.

Can always factory reset.

• Like 1

I'm just using some of the presets.

They sound great through a pair of headphones but when I'm using it through the band PA I want to be able to quickly adjust the EQ to suit the room that I'm playing in. 

So yes I could make my own presets at home but the EQ would need adjusting at each gig.

This is why I'm leaning towards a preamp pedal with quick access to the EQ settings.

58 minutes ago, Davy said:

... when I'm using it through the band PA I want to be able to quickly adjust the EQ to suit the room that I'm playing in...

It may be that you have limited EQ functions on your PA, but if not, why are you adjusting your own EQ rather than the PA EQ? Surely they are playing in the same room as you, so they need the same tweaks as you do.

David

• Like 1

I have the Spectra Drive.  The downloading different drives to the pedal from your phone stuff stopped working pretty quickly but as a signal booster, EQ shaper and DI out it does a reasonable job.  The MXR has a smaller footprint and sweepable mids, instead of two different mid knobs, but, I thought the bass eq was centred a bit low, 40Hz, I believe?  I haven't tried it though.

• Like 1

I did have a Spectra drive for a short while. I couldn't get a tone I was happy with so moved it on but I probably should have presevered with it for a bit longer.

I am leaning towards an MXR but I'll hang onto the Zoom B1 Four for the time being and try adjusting the EQ via the PA mixer and see how I get on with that.

I’ve had the MXR but found it to be very sterile. I’m currently selling a Darkglass Harmonic Booster pedal on here that is a similar three band eq preamp but with the addition of a character control. It’s a clean preamp but it’s a lot warmer than the MXR.

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/05/2024 at 21:13, Mottlefeeder said:

It may be that you have limited EQ functions on your PA, but if not, why are you adjusting your own EQ rather than the PA EQ? Surely they are playing in the same room as you, so they need the same tweaks as you do.

David

If I'm just going to use the EQ on my mixing desk then I'm wondering why bother with a preamp pedal and just use a good quality DI box...

• Like 1