Why become a member? ×

Any thoughts on this?

daveyh

Has anyone any experience of these bases from Music King?

[url="http://www.themusicking.co.uk/the-62-p-bass-inspired-guitar-sunburst"]http://www.themusicking.co.uk/the-62-p-bas...guitar-sunburst[/url]

I'm looking for a budget bass, but this seems like a perfect base for upgrading too. I've also been considering SX/Jim Deacon, Yamaha, Vintage and Ibanez.

I do not have any experience of these but I cant help feeling that for £140 its going to be pretty shonky somewhere. Unless you are building LOADS and LOADS to keep teh cost down (like Ibanez and yamaha do) they are going to have to cut back on quality somewhere.

Of your list that you mention above my order would be 1. Ibanez 2= Yamaha & Vintage. 3. SX if you can get a good one.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='492521' date='May 19 2009, 05:16 PM']I do not have any experience of these but I cant help feeling that for £140 its going to be pretty shonky somewhere. Unless you are building LOADS and LOADS to keep teh cost down (like Ibanez and yamaha do) they are going to have to cut back on quality somewhere.

Of your list that you mention above my order would be 1. Ibanez 2= Yamaha & Vintage. 3. SX if you can get a good one.[/quote]

It's saying it's reduced from £280 though, which should put the quality much higher than £140 would suggest. I've e-mailed them for some details, particularly who actually makes it.

I tried some basses today, although my local shop doesn't have many. Best one by far was an Ibanez EDB550(?), then a Yamaha BB415, a Yamaha ERO something (S/H) then a Yamaha RBX374 (S/H). It surprised me the cheapest, the ERO was better than the 374.

But I am thinking that Ibanez is the way to go, probably look at the SR300. Which is no surprise really as I've played Ibanez six strings for over 20yrs!

The P bass copy is most likely made in China ( as are most budget instruments) , that's only a problem if quality control is alowed to slide.
As this bass dosen't bare a makers name that I've heard of I would be cautios, Ibanez make instruments in China but unlike budget brand X they have a reputation to uphold.
I've just done a quick search and found this : [url="http://www.guitarandampshop.co.uk/acatalog/Ibanez_SR_and_GSR_Soundgear_Bass_Range.html"]http://www.guitarandampshop.co.uk/acatalog...Bass_Range.html[/url] - I recon that's a prety safe bet, about the same price as brand X but with a respected name on it.
I've got an Ibanez acoustic bass, it was perfect straight out of the box.
The value given for the brand X of £280 a bit suspect, it's worth £280 because they say it is.

It's also worth having a look at the basses for sale section here - there are some good budget instruments available at very good prices.

Edit: As max mentioned Squier above there is a Walnut Squier Jazz going at the moment and in a similar price range.

Edited by bythesea

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' post='492975' date='May 20 2009, 09:15 AM']The value given for the brand X of £280 a bit suspect, it's worth £280 because they say it is.[/quote]

I agree, I e-mailed them and asked who made it, or at least an equivalent make quality wise. Their reply was "it's good quality". That didn't inspire me much tbh.

[quote name='daveyh' post='493982' date='May 21 2009, 09:56 AM']I agree, I e-mailed them and asked who made it, or at least an equivalent make quality wise. Their reply was "it's good quality". That didn't inspire me much tbh.[/quote]

That looks pretty good to me! I think if you buy online they have to give a 7 day refund so if its not as described, send it back, but looking at the pic and the discription, it looks good! I was in BM the other day, and out of all the basses there, i still keep picking up this £140 pv bass! (5 string) have a look at the pv BLX i think they are. For the money, they take some beating in terms of sound and playability. But they are ,ore jazz than p bass.

GP.

The bass in question could be good, it could be bad, I've never heard of that make before so I can't tell.
If it was under £100, then it might be worth the risk, howevoer there are several well known brands available for £150.
My first acoustic bass was a bubget special , I soon got anoyed with the silly problems that it had eg: the E string had a different tone and much lower volume than the others, I tried everything but to no avail. In the end I just bought the best bass I could afford by a big name, reasoning that at least all the basics will be right. I got an Ibanez (was £169, they've gone up to £250 now) and it was even in tune when it came out of the box.-wow I must be getting old I'm repeating myself.
In short , there is so much out there in the £150 and under range it's worth shopping around.

Edited by Dom in Somerset

Electro in Doncaster have had a couple of these in stock. They're actually really nice. They're imported by a guy in Liverpool who hand picks them & will add personalised logos to the headstock if you want. Yes, they do come with the case - All in all it's a great deal if you want a non-branded bass of nice quality, especially at TMK's price! I might go down and have a look at one during half term next week. I've been to the Music King before and they're really nice people.

Rich.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='494055' date='May 21 2009, 11:18 AM']Electro in Doncaster have had a couple of these in stock. They're actually really nice. They're imported by a guy in Liverpool who hand picks them & will add personalised logos to the headstock if you want. Yes, they do come with the case - All in all it's a great deal if you want a non-branded bass of nice quality, especially at TMK's price! I might go down and have a look at one during half term next week. I've been to the Music King before and they're really nice people.

Rich.[/quote]

Well if thats a hands on view, its gotta be good, may even get one myself! the case has gotta be worth a 50!

Everyone on Talkbass raves about SX basses... And you can get the same P-Bass (although branded as Jim Deacon) in vintage white with a tort plate for £109 delivered from Hartnoll Guitars. That would be my first choice - plus there's one on eBay that had no bids last time around but has gone back up for a £45 starting price!