Why become a member? ×

The price of happiness?

lemoley

Hi guys (first thread)

Today I went to a local guitar show where I saw a left handed Rickenbacker 4001 in Fireglow. Its from 1971 and has a checkerboard inlay for the binding. The condition is as you would expect from a vintage bass that has been used for gigging - but nothing serious. Headstock is fine, all electronics work and it has all its orginal parts.

The guy is wanting £2000 for it. Is this too much?

I have been on ebay and you can get a Rick from the same era for about a grand less - however they are not left handed.

I would really appreciate your views on this as if you guys say the price is right then I might just have to go for it :)

Thanks, Mike

MB1. :)

Too Expensive!me thinks,keep checking the usuals.Do Rickenbacker charge extra for left hand models?,if they do i cant see it being anywhere near £2000.Stick an ad in the items wanted on the forum!You never can tell!Good Luck!.

Nice WAL left hooker in basses for sale! £500 cheaper!.Also try leftybass.com they might have what your looking for at a more realistic price,or maybe able to point you in the right direction!.

Edited by MB1

[quote name='lemoley' date='Aug 28 2007, 06:45 PM' post='51879']
thanks for the link MB1, thats a really great website with loads of decent priced gear

from looking through it I can get a vintage Fender for less than a Rickenbacker, hmmmm....

You can in fact buy quite a lot if youve got a spare £2000, being left handed shouldnt make a difference,glad to help!!

BC member Deksawyer is selling a lefty Ibanez 2389 4003 copy:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=5282"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=5282[/url]

These are rare as rocking horse gonads, and becoming exceptionally collectable as well as being excellent instruments in their own right. Left-hand examples are practically unheard of. This particular model is the later, more accurate 4003 replica, with proper Hi-Gain neck pickup & the wide gap between pickup & neck - earlier Ibanez copies were quite inaccurate, with big chromed Gibson-type humbuckers. This version retains the checked binding of the earlier ones.

If you did go for something like this, remember they're collectable vintage, so it's best not to make any modifications you can't change back if you want to sell it. And just DON'T put a fake Rick logo on it, OK?

Jon.

holy sh*t man, i have never seen a Rick copy in my life - never mind left handed (i thought Rickenbacker had patented all the rights when they first started releasing bass guitars)

and for £400?

i think im gonna have to get in contact with this guy, thanks for the link man :)