Why become a member? ×

Routing out for Thunderbird pickups - help needed !

Posted (edited)

Hi everyone, 

Can anyone please help routing out this jazz bass body for  these thunderbird pickups, I don't own a router and wouldn't trust myself doing this as a first job... 😞 

I has the same idea as @Berserker  PJBird build and was really impressed with his build and the sounds of these pickups.

This is  a Harley Benton JB75 Ash body,  looks like the thunderbird pickups should fit OK and I also have the pickup surrounds. 

Ultimately I will also fit a P bass neck as this Jazz one is a but narrow for me. 

Many thanks in advance, Neil

20240517_183508.jpg

20240517_183817.jpg

20240517_184450.jpg

20240517_184432.jpg

20240517_184153.jpg

20240517_183831.jpg

Edited by orangepeelneil
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, orangepeelneil said:

I don't own a router

Do you own or have access to a drill ?

Get a sanding drum, insert it into the pickup cavity and mark where it clears the body. Take a sharp knife and trim away the sandpaper above that mark.

Fit the mounting rings and start sanding away at the cavities. The mounting rings will keep you within the working area while the exposed drum won't damage the chrome when you move along it .

image.png.80e5b5fb3991abaf4b7047f5379ece72.png

Wear a mask 

• Like 1

On 20/05/2024 at 19:13, kodiakblair said:

Do you own or have access to a drill ?

Get a sanding drum, insert it into the pickup cavity and mark where it clears the body. Take a sharp knife and trim away the sandpaper above that mark.

Fit the mounting rings and start sanding away at the cavities. The mounting rings will keep you within the working area while the exposed drum won't damage the chrome when you move along it .

image.png.80e5b5fb3991abaf4b7047f5379ece72.png

Wear a mask 

I like this idea. It's like a less dangerous, less aggressive, less likely to take chunks out of your bass while trying to remove a couple of fingers version of a router. 

Could be slow if a lot of wood needs removing but sharp chisel first to nearly the right place, then finish off with the drum sander equipped drill. 

• Like 1

Hi everyone, 

Sorry got totally distracted with work stuff and this has gone in the gigbag (for now) .

I'll reach out to one of you in the next few weeks once I get some time. 

I'm South West based but could post the body and pickups anywhere and pay for the work. 

Incidentally I've also put the original HB neck up for sale as below.

I thought I could try to live with the Jazz bass 38mm nut neck, but on reflection and playing it ( +getting these pickups fitted)  I've gone and sourced a maple p bass (43mm nut) neck which should fit the neck pocket OK.

Thanks Neil