Why become a member? ×

The final devaluation of music ? Learn about Suno,Udio and exactly what A.I. is up to - scary stuff.........

All music is copying. When you write music you're just deciding what elements you're copying.

AI is the same except it doesn't have experience of the real world, doesn't understand the emotional context. Until AI has emotion, all it will be is a model working off an algorithm.

Humans are losing the emotional context of life as well, too much written communication and not enough face to face.

Maybe AI music will appeal to future generations who don't know what it is like to go outside and actually talk to people.

• Like 3

On 10/05/2024 at 12:37, BigRedX said:

Given that it appears to be more click-bait from Rick Beato I'm tempted not to watch it. IMO he comes across as a sad old man railing against modern technology when that boat has very much sailed, producing videos that deliberately mis-use and mis-represent the technology he's against in order to pander to his core audience of equally sad old men. Either that or he really is very stupid and hasn't understood how the technology should be used creatively.

I didn't realise you were a fan!

On 10/05/2024 at 15:37, MacDaddy said:

There's much scaremongering about AI at the moment. AI is actually a misnomer as there's no intelligence involved. It's computer programs giving responses on the basis of probabilities.

AI at the moment is not creative, as it can not surpass it's data set and do anything original. For example if you programmed the relevant AI with The Beatles Red Album, it would not be able to come up with anything from The Blue Album. 

This.

I'm surprised (shouldn't be, right enough) that few people seem to have realised this so far.

All the large language models can do is plagiarise the past - they literally are incapable of original thought. We're being gaslit by the media and AI companies to be enthused by something that can only give us back a result that a human has previously created.

• Like 1

On 10/05/2024 at 12:37, BigRedX said:

Given that it appears to be more click-bait from Rick Beato I'm tempted not to watch it. IMO he comes across as a sad old man railing against modern technology when that boat has very much sailed, producing videos that deliberately mis-use and mis-represent the technology he's against in order to pander to his core audience of equally sad old men. Either that or he really is very stupid and hasn't understood how the technology should be used creatively.

Absolutely agree 1000% with this assessment of Rick Beato.  A true dinosaur.

One thing AI can do is write music that humans can't play. This certainly already applies to sequencers DAWS already, but is AI more likely to come up with, say, shred guitar solos that are physically impossible even with an 8 or 10-string guitar.

Scarier still, is AI going to be able to come up with melodically satisfying shred guitar solos that are actually listenable?

6 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

One thing AI can do is write music that humans can't play. This certainly already applies to sequencers DAWS already, but is AI more likely to come up with, say, shred guitar solos that are physically impossible even with an 8 or 10-string guitar.

Scarier still, is AI going to be able to come up with melodically satisfying shred guitar solos that are actually listenable?

Many years ago I was reading a book by some economists on AI ("prediction machines", Agrwal, Gans, Goldfarb).

The context and applications they were discussing were completely different, but the argument they were making I believe may apply to music.

Their idea was that AI should not be seen as something that does something on its own, but something that is managed by a human, which will then make the fundamental act of deciding whether the outcome of AI is satisfying, and to what extent.

I think it is obvious that AI will in certain circumstances generate good solos. The opposite would be almost impossible for the law of big numbers and as allegedly millions of monkeys typing on laptops for years would eventually write a Shakespeare play - or whatever.

But then there needs to be a human that hears the AI solo and go "yes, this is really something that should be packaged and communicated to others". This human can be an artist, or somebody that makes music for more pedestrian uses such as jingles or Taylor Swift albums, and the choices/outcomes would be different.

In that sense, I am skeptical about songs entirely made by AI in one go having legs. I see more possibilities for songs that combine different parts made by AI - or maybe AI tools that make edits easy.

But then, when we get to the point of replacing musicians (as in people who play an instrument), it is more complex. For some purposes this will happen. But Adam Neely in his video made a very strong argument: would you watch a football match played by AI?

Would you go to an AI concert? If you go to a concert, are you there to hear sounds (music, which AI may be able to do) or to watch fellow humans as they generate the sounds?

On 21/05/2024 at 17:38, Paolo85 said:

Would you go to an AI concert? If you go to a concert, are you there to hear sounds (music, which AI may be able to do) or to watch fellow humans as they generate the sounds?

Arguably an AI concert would sit somewhere between a live gig and a DJ.

To argue against myselfit's the human dj who provides the connection to the audience (at least a good one does).

It's worth bearing in mind that many radio stations use AI generated playlists and don't even have djs.

ChatGPT.

Sure! Here's a suggested setlist for a Wales-based classic rock band, with enough songs for two 45-minute sets plus encores:

Set 1 (45 minutes)     

"Back in Black" – AC/DC    

"Living on a Prayer" – Bon Jovi     "Rock and Roll" – Led Zeppelin    

"Sweet Home Alabama" – Lynyrd Skynyrd    

"Highway to Hell" – AC/DC    

"Don't Stop Believin'" – Journey    

"Smoke on the Water" – Deep Purple    

"You Really Got Me" – The Kinks    

"Born to be Wild" – Steppenwolf 

Set 2 (45 minutes)     

"Another Brick in the Wall" – Pink Floyd    

"Free Bird" – Lynyrd Skynyrd    

"Sweet Child O' Mine" – Guns N' Roses    

"Hotel California" – Eagles    

"Bohemian Rhapsody" – Queen    

"Comfortably Numb" – Pink Floyd     "Paranoid" – Black Sabbath    

"Whole Lotta Love" – Led Zeppelin 

Encores     

"We Will Rock You/We Are the Champions" – Queen    

"Hey Jude" – The Beatles 

This mix includes a variety of classic rock hits that are sure to energize the crowd and keep them engaged throughout both sets and the encores. Enjoy the gig!

Could you make the songs a little more obscure? And add some welsh bands. ChatGPT  Of course! Here’s a revised setlist with some deeper cuts and Welsh bands included: Set 1 (45 minutes)      "Whiskey in the Jar" – Thin Lizzy     "Radar Love" – Golden Earring     "One of These Nights" – Eagles     "Run to the Hills" – Iron Maiden     "The Boys Are Back in Town" – Thin Lizzy     "Since You Been Gone" – Rainbow     "Go Your Own Way" – Fleetwood Mac     "Holiday" – Scorpions     "Delilah" – Tom Jones  Set 2 (45 minutes)      "Rock Bottom" – UFO     "Love Spreads" – The Stone Roses     "Dancing in the Moonlight" – Thin Lizzy     "In a Broken Dream" – Python Lee Jackson (featuring Rod Stewart)     "Don't Believe a Word" – Thin Lizzy     "Nantucket Sleighride" – Mountain     "Roadhouse Blues" – The Doors     "Love Removal Machine" – The Cult  Welsh Band Feature      "Juxtapozed with U" – Super Furry Animals     "Dakota" – Stereophonics  Encores      "Rock and Roll" – Led Zeppelin     "Hey Jude" – The Beatles  This setlist blends some lesser-known classic rock songs with notable tracks from Welsh bands, creating a unique and engaging experience for the audience.

I don't want AI to generate music for me. I want it to take care of the boring, time-consuming cr@p - washing the dishes, doing the laundry, cleaning the toilet, etc - and leave me more time to do things I enjoy, like making music.

• Like 1

If I had a penny every time a new technology / approach / genre / instrument completely devalued music... 😁 Like how garage/techno "defeated" all other music with it's simplicity.

I mean I get where you're coming from. But about 99% of the world's current human-made music is absolute trash (at least from a very subjective perspective, what exactly makes up the 99% varies), I really don't think the 1% most of humanity will be listening to will actually be premium quality AI made music.

I am a lot more concerned about Gen-Z being absolutely crazy about what I consider today's absolute nothingburgers, those crap tracks where there's like a 80 bpm digital drum with 16th-32th hi-hat runs, some bloops and beeps, and a guy or girl basically speaking in an autotuned voice about something in a monotone, bored manner. And there's millions of songs of this same thing. Even AI can do better than THIS.