Why become a member? ×

Choosing my one and only pedal

One and only pedal  

3 members have voted

1. 1. One and only pedal

• Electro Harmonix Battalion
    • Valeton Dapper

2 hours ago, RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE said:

Playing devils advocate : why not change the precision for an Ibanez or Warwick ,or Schecter ?  You may not need a pedal .🤔🙂

As much as I like my Ibanez, I find the tone straight out of the instrument really bland but it's s really great starting point to build on with effects.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

As much as I like my Ibanez, I find the tone straight out of the instrument really bland but it's s really great starting point to build on with effects.

Good point , it brings me back to the '90s when the bass really cut through on a lot of metal albums .

One other thing I just thought of , is the boom in active preamps in basses in the late '80s onwards . Even my Washburn status has that "clang " to it . Having said that, it's a marmite sound . 

• Like 1

Another +1 for the Laney Digbeth.

Although recently when I needed one pedal for an outdoor gig with no spare mains power points, I took a Zoom MS-60B (I didn’t need anything fancy, just a preamp and tuner that could run on batteries)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Bassman68 said:

You’ve obviously never tried an EBS Microbass 3 then?

I'm aware that some do. Microbass 3 is one of the ones that do isn't it. Well pointed out.

Posted (edited)

The question is a bit like 'I can only have one pair of shoes, which ones should I get - Wellies or High Heels?' (not that either one of the pedals mentioned fit those descriptionsl!), so the annoying answer is that it depends on what your needs are. 

Saying that though, if I was only getting one pedal and the budget was about £100 I'd get a Zoom B1-Four. Then you have a Tuner, Compressor, EQ, Drive, Modulation, Octaver, Synth, Delays etc, and a decent practice tool with drum loops/metronome and can plug headphones into it, and can be battery powered. If you really need a XLR DI (which I've found is only really needed if you are doing long cable runs to a mixer/PA and you can't do it from your Amp XLR out) then there are seperate passive DI boxes like the SubZero for about £15.

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 3