Why become a member? ×

Bass --> FoH with no backline. What preamp pedal are you using?

These are the always on effects of my "amp-less" setup:

->> XVive Undulator (tremolo pedal, but never actually engaged and used exclusively for its great buffer) ->> EHX Black Finger (tube driven optical compressor, with 2 preamp tubes operating at proper high 300V plate voltage, mainly used as a tube preamp stage, driven to just at the edge of the tubes's breakup point, but with some very subtle compression dialed in as well)  ->> Boss LS-2 [A+B Mix <-> Bypass] (parallel effect loops mixer/switch) ={ [Loop A Send] ->> Joyo Oxford Sound (clone of the Tech 21 Oxford, which is an all analog emulation of an Orange Amp type preamp, dialed in to deliver a low gain overdrive, always used blended with "clean" signal from parallel effects [Loop B]) ->> [Loop A Return] ->|+|<- [Loop B Send] ->> ([Loops B] empty, used to blend in "clean" signal) ->> [Loop B Return] ([Loop A] + [Loop B] mixed at an approximate 50/50 ratio) => [LS-2 Output] }=>->> Zoom B1Xon (used predominantly as reverb and delay unit, with various different reverb and delay patches, including my always on {very subtle Plate Reverb -> subtle Spring Reverb} reverb patch that is part of my basic "clean" tone, and beside that, among others, an extremely thick, lush reverb patch, used as a pad effect with volume swells from the build in expression pedal, and a trippy reverse delay patch, though also used for a couple of additional other effects, including a prominent "wah" pedal patch) ->> NUX (NBP-5) Melvin Lee Davis Bass Preamp + DI  (loaded with a digitally emulated Aguilar Tone Hammer amp, and an Ampeg SVT-212AV IR cab simulation, with a subtle low gain overdrive blended in at a 50/50 clean/drive ratio) ->

->> ART Tube MP Project Series (tube preamp and DI, with build in HPF, fixed @40Hz -12dB/Oct, engaged, tube driven to just on the verge of breakup point->

So a combination of several preamp stages makes up my "amp-less" tone, but I suppose the NUX Melvin Lee Davis Bass Preamp + DI being the main one.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

I use an HX stomp but if it broke, genuinely I'd go back to my zoom ms60b. I used the zoom a few months ago as my guitarist borrowed the stomp, i was perfectly happy with the sound. I've always loved the zoom stuff, maybe not so much for the dirty sounds, but for a basic clean preamp, through a pa, noones going to think your sound is poor.

Saying that, whats the fun in that! Get an hx stomp!

I've been through a few.

Helix Floor - Does it all but I was only using 1% of the features so was wasted on me. Love that you can split signal at whatever point / frequency you want and then merge it again later in the signal chain. Made it really good for overdrive sounds etc that didn't lose low end.

MXR M81 - Great clean sound, garbage distortion.

Origin FX Vintage Bass Rig (the black one) - built beautifully but struggled to get the tone I wanted.

Origin FX Vintage Bass Rig (the blue one) - Excellent quality and nailed the vintage Amgeg thing really well. Didn't like the inability to switch drive / eq separately. 

Sansamp Bass Driver - One trick pony but does that one trick brilliantly.

These days we do a mix of silent stage and regular stage gigs. All on in ears but, when we have acoustic drums we also tend to use backline. I use a Darkglass M900 v2 amp and simply run it without a cab on silent stage gigs as the footswitch allows me to have 2 different drive sounds and clean sounds easily. Cab sim makes it great for di to foh.

• Like 1

On 02/05/2024 at 20:12, Elfrasho said:

I use an HX stomp but if it broke, genuinely I'd go back to my zoom ms60b. I used the zoom a few months ago as my guitarist borrowed the stomp, i was perfectly happy with the sound. I've always loved the zoom stuff, maybe not so much for the dirty sounds, but for a basic clean preamp, through a pa, noones going to think your sound is poor.

Saying that, whats the fun in that! Get an hx stomp!

Had a Stomp (twice!). Will defo be checking out the MS-60B+ ie the souped up version of the 2013 MS-60B