Why become a member? ×

Painting a pickguard

Jack

Hi all,

I have a notion to refinish a bass for a specific project, however a couple of the ones I've been looking at have pickguards that can't really be removed due to visible routing. Is it possible to paint normal pickguard plastic? If not, has anyone had any successful experience making a pickguard of of something that can be painted? Wood for instance?

Thanks,

Jack

I'd get a custom replacement. If you are a pick player, you may wear the paint (less of an issue if you are a finger player). There's loads of after market ones that look great and can be made to whatever specs you have. My feeling is the paint would probably not look too good, unless you are really artistic and careful. If it's a standard style like a Precision, there may be some non custom replacements that are cheap and look the part. 

Thanks cat. The issue is that it's going to be painted in stripes to match the pride flag, so it would have to be exact and multi coloured. I might just have to keep a look out for something without a pickguard. Although to be fair I wouldn't mind the wear, if any happened.

image.png.29a589f74afc7eb1b18e84bd882a4e96.png

14 hours ago, Maude said:

Put a clear one on and let the rainbow shine through. 😎

Ideally yes but then also the unintended cyberpunk aesthetic of the routing showing through as well.

image.png.398c2483bc084f476a1ba0d4894bdac8.png

• Like 1

I've painted the pickguard of my Epiphone SG Special guitar with acrylic paint (will need a couple of layers, remember to let the paint surface dry before applying another layer), then spraying it with a couple of clear coats (again remember to let surface dry in between), and it worked perfectly, looks great, and hasn't scratched or flaked or anything like that since.

Just remember to wipe the pickguard in question with some ethanol first, and let it dry, to clean off any dust or grease, and handle it before you paint it in a way so that you won't leave your finger prints on it after you cleaned it, in order for the paint to be able to bind properly to the surface.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash