Why become a member? ×

Dealing with gear buzz

DDR

Yeah... So I'm improvising 50 minutes of music on bass with all my pedals for a theatre show in Athens.

Rehearsals (or rather test runs) went well but then on the first show night the buzz coming out the PA was pretty awfull. Sound engineer was trying to blame my grar but I've played with that set up in many places before without a problem...

I'm assuming the venue's electricity is not grounded or something? Quite common in Athens apparently.

I'm doing the show there again in two weeks, any tips that don't involve fixing the venue electrics?

Thank you!

6 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

From a safety perspective, treat yourself to a cheap wireless setup.

Right but I need 8 pedals... What's that gonna be? I've seen those thomann 2 pedal portable battery things.... 

It would be wireless from your guitar to the pedal chain. The pedals will still be running off mains. So no help with the buzz but might stop you from getting electrocuted!

Personally I would look at an RCD socket adapter instead, to deal with any safety risk. For the hum, hopefully someone more knowledgeable can step in but I believe there are filtered four-ways available to protect IT gear against dodgy mains that might be worth a look.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DDR said:

Right but I need 8 pedals... What's that gonna be? I've seen those thomann 2 pedal portable battery things.... 

Buy a Lekato unit.  Unit can charge both sender and receiver beforehand and just jack the receiver into the front of your signal chain.  Battery life is five to six hours.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07TWQL2JS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Thanks 1

There are a number of pedal supply options that run off a portable usb power brick. That along with a wireless guitar link will isolate you from the mains but you can’t avoid the link from the pedals to a mains powered amp or mixing desk. Unless that is where you put the wireless link. 

A first step would be to try to clarify the terminology. Are you sure you mean buzz and not hum? Many people use these two words interchangeably but they are not the same thing. Hum would be indicative of an earthing problem and the causes of it (and the solutions to solve it) are many and varied. Buzz, however, is usually inducted noise from another source and must be dealt with differently.

So firstly, was the noise a constant tone that didn't change with the position of your gear or your orientation i.e which direction you faced? Did the noise go away if you touched your strings or another part of your gear (amp chassis, jack plug casing etc)

When you moved around or changed direction did the volume or tone of the noise change?

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, JoeEvans said:

It would be wireless from your guitar to the pedal chain. The pedals will still be running off mains. So no help with the buzz but might stop you from getting electrocuted!

Personally I would look at an RCD socket adapter instead, to deal with any safety risk. For the hum, hopefully someone more knowledgeable can step in but I believe there are filtered four-ways available to protect IT gear against dodgy mains that might be worth a look.

good sense of priorities!! thanks for the reminder! me first :)

8 hours ago, tauzero said:

Presumably this was using a DI - did you try using the ground lift on the DI?

i used my Sansamp (it doesn't have one) but to reach their 80's yamaha console from the stage we were going though a berhinger DI they had,,, ground lift didn't make a difference

7 hours ago, AMV001 said:

A first step would be to try to clarify the terminology. Are you sure you mean buzz and not hum? Many people use these two words interchangeably but they are not the same thing. Hum would be indicative of an earthing problem and the causes of it (and the solutions to solve it) are many and varied. Buzz, however, is usually inducted noise from another source and must be dealt with differently.

So firstly, was the noise a constant tone that didn't change with the position of your gear or your orientation i.e which direction you faced? Did the noise go away if you touched your strings or another part of your gear (amp chassis, jack plug casing etc)

When you moved around or changed direction did the volume or tone of the noise change?

yes hum is more appropriate i think... no difference when i moved or touched the strings

Are all your pedals 9V and fairly low current? You could use a USB-C power bank that will output various voltages and a dongle to tell it to output 9V - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314790280799 if you don't like soldering (will need a polarity reverser from centre positive to centre negative) or https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/295636499200 if you're up to soldering (you need to desolder and move a tiny little jumper). That removes your effects from the mains.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AMV001 said:

OK. Give us your exact signal chain.

Reverrend Decision P, Octabvre, FC accountant, FC Randy's Revenge, FC Shallow Water, The Raster II, Wah Wah, Empress Reverb, Blooper Looper, Sans Amp - to their DI

1713273378396.jpg

I think I see your problem there- that daisy chain power cable. You should be running all these pedals off a dedicated power supply with fully isolated outputs.

Also- what is that PSU rated at?

Edited by AMV001
Added PSU question
  • Sad 1

I'm also not a fan of these metal framed pedal boards. Its easy to set up earth loops via the pedal chassis and frame. I'd recommend covering the whole of the front of the frame with velcro in order to isolate the pedals from the frame i.e so none of the outside of the pedals (or the jack plugs) are touching the bare metal of the board.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AMV001 said:

I think I see your problem there- that daisy chain power cable. You should be running all these pedals off a dedicated power supply with fully isolated outputs.

Also- what is that PSU rated at?

that would be a bit much wouldn't it? I have 8 going to the MXR Brick and the 9th on it's own powersupply... would have to buy 8 ps and 2 4x4 ;)

15 hours ago, AMV001 said:

I'm also not a fan of these metal framed pedal boards. Its easy to set up earth loops via the pedal chassis and frame. I'd recommend covering the whole of the front of the frame with velcro in order to isolate the pedals from the frame i.e so none of the outside of the pedals (or the jack plugs) are touching the bare metal of the board.

fair shout that yeah!

6 hours ago, DDR said:

that would be a bit much wouldn't it? I have 8 going to the MXR Brick and the 9th on it's own powersupply... would have to buy 8 ps and 2 4x4 ;)

I think you misunderstand the meaning of isolated. Many multi power supplies, like the MXR Brick, have multiple outlets but they are not isolated from each other. This can cause noise problems in certain circumstances. MXR makes the Iso Brick, a better version of the Brick, to avoid this potential problem and many other manufacturers have products which do the same i.e Voodoo Lab, Coiks etc. Many of these are available with more than 9 outputs.

It is also worth adding up the current consumption of all those pedals and checking that you are not exceeding the rating of the PSU. That can cause noise.

Edited by AMV001
  • Thanks 1

On 16/04/2024 at 07:38, DDR said:

i used my Sansamp (it doesn't have one) but to reach their 80's yamaha console from the stage we were going though a berhinger DI they had,,, ground lift didn't make a difference

yes hum is more appropriate i think... no difference when i moved or touched the strings

Sounds like a ground loop. Was the behringer di the one that is a cheap copy of the bss ar133? (Di100 I think) That is the only one with a proper ground lift and an audio isolating transformer.

I’d suspect their DI if a ground lift didn’t fix it.

1 hour ago, tauzero said:

As the setup has worked without noise elsewhere, the lack of an isolated power supply wouldn't seem to be the problem.

Possibly not. But then also possibly. Its a misconception that just because any given piece of gear will usually work flawlessly from day to day, that its not going malfunction if the circumstances conspire. I've been touring internationally for 30+ years and have seen (and heard) a lot of weird stuff.