Why become a member? ×

Anyone know how much of a risk it'd be getting this Harley Benton 5-string fretless?

kwmlondon

At HB prices? Low risk. If you don't like it Thomann will refund. If you decide to keep it, then change your mind then resale value will be low but the low purchase price minimises the hit.

And with their reputation you'll probably decide it's worth keeping.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Richie_b said:

If your hanger is in a solid wall, you'll be grand.  I could show the pitcures of what happens after time with it on in a stud partition wall 🙂
It is now on a floor stand! lol  & I haven't got round to fixing the holes just yet!

Yeah. I may stick with the floor-stand then!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ominous bear said:

If it helps, I've just weighed the one I have (that exact model) and it's 9.1 lbs / 4.13 kg. 

Oh, and the pickups are nowhere near jazz shape, but sound pretty decent to my ears. 

Well, I'm pretty open minded. I guess I just tend to default to passive if it's an option and I don't think you can bypass the eq on this bass. Not a huge deal.

I got the bass and first look was okay, but in the daylight... this is on the neck! It looks like it's been repaired too. I got it as having signs of use but this is not a bit of use!!!

IMG_9846.jpeg

IMG_9847.jpeg

• Sad 5

Shame... 

Whats the headstock, tuners like? Could it of got a knock at the top?

In the finish or in the wood?..

If only finish, and ya happy with the rest i'd be on em for a good discount... If the wood, back it goes.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

Shame... 

Whats the headstock, tuners like? Could it of got a knock at the top?

In the finish or in the wood?..

If only finish, and ya happy with the rest i'd be on em for a good discount... If the wood, back it goes.

It's a crack. I got it for £228 as it was b stock but they've offered to replace for new and they'll take it up with DHL as the box has a great big hole in it! 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, kwmlondon said:

It's a crack. I got it for £228 as it was b stock but they've offered to replace for new and they'll take it up with DHL as the box has a great big hole in it! 

It's a shame as this one isn't at all heavy! Still, it's got a big crack at the neck. Never a good look!

It's very nice though. I can't imagine how they're making a profit on this.

2 hours ago, kwmlondon said:

They aren't.  Apparently they are loss leaders as part of a long term customer base and brand building strategy.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

They aren't.  Apparently they are loss leaders as part of a long term customer base and brand building strategy.

Well. I'm pretty promiscuous when it comes to buying gear - I'll go with whoever takes my fancy at any given point. BUT. The experience of dealing with their customer service has meant I'm very happy to use Thomann again in the future. It was a bit of a faff taking loads of pics for them to claim against DHL but they were friendly and efficient in solving an issue. Honestly, cheap'n'cheerful products are only going to win you customers if the customer service is up to dealing with the issues and from my experience, it is.

• Like 4

That's a shame it's so done.  But awesome customer service, so a win allround.
I wondered after a comment upthread how varied they were & that you had one that wasn't that heavy seems like there might be some significant variance, but cool if you can get one from lighter cuts of wood!!

• Like 1

On 18/04/2024 at 15:52, kwmlondon said:

It's a shame as this one isn't at all heavy! Still, it's got a big crack at the neck. Never a good look!

They have less markup as Thomann owns HB so they can sell them at cost if they want without making a loss, then flog you all the accessories for a profit.

• Like 1

On 20/04/2024 at 23:44, tauzero said:

They have less markup as Thomann owns HB so they can sell them at cost if they want without making a loss, then flog you all the accessories for a profit.

Well the tuners seem to work okay but the bridge is nasty so may get an aftermarket one. 

Well that was odd. DPD just came to collect the bass. I handed it to the courier guy and asked for a receipt and he said he can't give a receipt so I said "okay, I'll just take a photo of you taking the box away" and he said no and handed the box back to me!!!!!

What the actual F*CK?!

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

A manufacturer we buy a lot of items from at work use DHL.   They had a tick box option that said "Courier to bring labels" on their courier request form to save us printing them out.

However, in our experience, the DHL driver never had the labels, so the items would not get collected unless we printed and put them on the box ourselves.  I have noticed that tick box option has disappeared from the request form so must have been a regular issue!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Huge Hands said:

A manufacturer we buy a lot of items from at work use DHL.   They had a tick box option that said "Courier to bring labels" on their courier request form to save us printing them out.

However, in our experience, the DHL driver never had the labels, so the items would not get collected unless we printed and put them on the box ourselves.  I have noticed that tick box option has disappeared from the request form so must have been a regular issue!

Urgh. Honestly. If you're doing a collection I'd have thought it was automatic to bring a label. The courier was going to take the box away without anything on it saying where it was going ffs. If they'd asked me to print and attach I'd have done so but I'd have wanted to take a pic of it being taken away in the van...