Why become a member? ×

Can we move or duplicate the forum button please

Aidan63

Question

The other forum I spend most of my online life on, built on the Ezboard platform has the forum control at the top, where you navigate between sections, like a normal windows layout just as on here, BUT also has a drop down menu box bottom right of the page so when you have scrolled to the bottom of a page when scanning a section, or imprtantly when reading a thread you can immediately navigate to another section from there without having to scroll back up to the top of the page as we do on here, it's a really good ergonomic design. Yes I know you can use back button, but that isn't always where you want to go.

I use a pc and mouse, but if I was on a phone constantly having to scroll up to get to change sections or constantly going back it would really discourage me from browsing the forum - its part of the reason I don't use a phone for internet (screen size and interface method being main ones) except in an emergency away from my desk situation, navigating websites isn't as easy, just blindly scrolling trying to find the correct thing to progress is a frustrating waste of time. I know most people have moved to doing everything on a phone, or on a tablet like device, but I am happy doing it 90s style.

On the other forum I use I log straight into main menu, where I can see a brief overall view of what's new, go to the first section that catches my eye, and after that I go through all the sections I check in, read, post, and move on without ever coming back to the home page main menu.

Thanks for looking.

5 answers to this question

There's a back one level and forward to the next unread topic links at the end of every thread, are they not sufficient?

IMO the phone browsing experience is very poor, but there are more important missing bits of interface than the ones you mention.

• Thanks 1

I guess its a case of what one is used to, club80-90 was the first forum I joined back in 2002, the layout was good (ie it was a big upgrade on the barely gui stuff that came before) and logical and has remained pretty much the same with slight incremental improvements, its a bit of a dinosaur being on Ezboard platform but we couldn't afford Invision ( I did suggest it when the last upgrade was done having seen this) as it's a free, occasional donations requested forum, very much of its own ethos.

I don't use the next unread thread question button, I like to see the title of the threads, and use the hover preview to see if I want to read on....

1 hour ago, Aidan63 said:

when reading a thread you can immediately navigate to another section from there without having to scroll back up to the top of the page

Open the thread in a new tab?

Posted (edited)

not quite

like this please

navmenu.thumb.png.82ccc1d6e1162b879a4a700d62d4445b.png

it's actually more functional than the board index menu top left as all the sub-forums are listed, but obviously its a big scrollable drop down menu

Edited by Aidan63