Why become a member? ×

It's A Dep's Life - Share Your Stories

24 minutes ago, stewblack said:

. . . . worrying about mistakes benefits no one. I might think I'm being conscientious and professional berating myself for every slip, but in truth I'm just making myself tense and stressing about stuff which has gone.

Focus on the next note not the last one

Always this. Unfortunately with so many people filming bum notes can be broadcast around the world before you've even finished the gig!!

Last week I was surprised to hear the whole band play a different sequence of bars to the original, which was the version I'd been told to listen to. It's now on Facebook for everyone to see and makes me look like I cocked up!!!

• Like 3

15 hours ago, chris_b said:

Always this. Unfortunately with so many people filming bum notes can be broadcast around the world before you've even finished the gig!!

Last week I was surprised to hear the whole band play a different sequence of bars to the original, which was the version I'd been told to listen to. It's now on Facebook for everyone to see and makes me look like I cocked up!!!

Yes indeed. The guitarist videos our Bandeoke every week - you can bet he doesn't care how badly I played when he chooses which sing to broadcast!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm in awe of anyone who even attempts to dep unprepared.We've been using deps a lot recently owing mainly to ill health and frankly it's a nightmare. Drummers have always been OK Bassists I wouldn't know because I've only missed one and I wansn't there anyway. Guitarists are a nightmare mainly they seem to think that if there is a chord sheet un Ultimate guitar they are good to go and that if they know verse chorus they know the song. Mainly I organise deps but because it's usually last minute there's no chance to rehearse.

We always start with the set list from the last gig and that means we've all played it within the last two or three weeks usually, the rest of the bnd need to be secure. I send that list our with our first contact with the deps. That's rapidly followed with key changes and You Tube videos of the band or the nearest thing to the version we do in terms of arrangement. I'll send out notes of who starts the songs once the dep has agreed. I'd expect a dep to get back to me within a couple of days to indicate which songs they can cover and which are a step too far. Interestingly that's usually due to unusual rhythms more than anything else. At this point if we are half a dozen songs short I'll send out our extended set list and ask the dep to send me theirs (amazing how few have that list btw) and we usually expect to have to learn two or three of their songs. It's not a difficult gig because we play everyday cover band songs straight and mainly in the original key.

Our worst experience was with a guitarist who had no idea but seemed to think he was coping. After three songs I turned him off in my in-ears (bliss) and started counting bars watching the drummer and litening to the vocals. I found out at the break drums and vocals had also cut him out of their in ears. I've reached the point where I'm refusing to go out with a dep who is unknown or unrehearsed. I'm going to be on the lookout for a couple of deps in each seat and our lazy band will just have to find time to rehearse them in. I want to guarantee them at least a couple of gigs a year too.

A couple of you I note are from Wurzel Country. See you soon I hope :)

Edited by Phil Starr
  • Like 2

A few years back on another thread about deps and joining bands, someone kindly offered to post a link to the list they sent their deps, which was the list of songs, keys, chord charts and links to videos.  I was trying to find it earlier this year to get some inspiration for practicing things I would never normally play,  but couldn't find the thread, or the post. 

Was it anyone on this thread, and if so would she/he be able to post it again?

Stepped in for a couple of gigs in Bognor last Friday/saturday. Set list sent couple of days before, pretty straightforward stuff really but they didn’t tell me they played hotel California and tainted love in different keys which obviously threw me for first couple of bars , but hey ho! We got there. Both venues very quiet but job done and band was asked back and everyone happy. 😊

Edited by tubbybloke68
  • Like 2