Why become a member? ×

WHARFEDALE PRO DELTA AX-12 (Opinions Please)

Would a pair of WHARFEDALE PRO DELTA AX-12 active speakers be a good choice for a pub/club band playing soft rock?

Probably just vocals going through the PA.

Your opinions would be much appreciated.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Edited by thebrig

I use the EVP powered stuff from about 2009 for a couple of years, they sounded fine and weren't expensive but they were quite heavy. Mine were 1x15 plus horns and I added the 1x15 subs too.

But the weight did for me and I went QSC

Edited by police squad

If you're serious about just putting the vocals through the PA then a pair of powered 12s is massive overkill. A pair of passive 8s or 10s with a small powered mixer would be lighter, simpler, and (probably) much cheaper.

I've been a Wharfedale user for years, I still have a complete EVPsystem with subs as a backup system. They are old and heavy but sound great and are very reliable, but also provide proper cutomer support. Wharfedale are now owned out of Hong Kong in a group with old UK firms like Audiolab and Quad.

The Delta series were their 'quality' range at the top of to stuff they make for pub bands, disco's and clubs. For that you get wooden (MDF) rather than plastic cabs. I've not heard the latest ones but earlier iterations were very comparable with Yamaha cabs for build quality and sound but at a much better price. Ignore the specs, The Wharfedale specs for the AX range are true RMS/AES values, strangely the AXF range advertises inflated peak values. The AX looks very much like a smartened up re-vamp of the EVP's with the AXF's being re-vamped Deltas.

If you can afford the extra the Delta AXF range will offer Baltic birch cabs and slightly better bass drivers along with FIR technology which improves the sound at the crossover frequency. If you want to go 'cheap' the Tourus range of plastic cabs seems to correspond with the AX and the Typhon roughly with the AXF but with platic cabs. Again I haven't tried them but I did own a pair of Wharfedale Titans which were great for vocals and really lightweight but the plastic cabs resonated like mad  if you put bass through them at high power. I don't think you'd have that problem with bass through the MDF cabs.

Hope that helps.

On 07/04/2024 at 15:28, Phil Starr said:

Again I haven't tried them but I did own a pair of Wharfedale Titans which were great for vocals and really lightweight but the plastic cabs resonated like mad  if you put bass through them at high power. I don't think you'd have that problem with bass through the MDF cabs.

You did not say that before I bought them….

Seriously though I have used @philstarr Wharfedale Titans. For vocal PA only they are really good. The other issue is that the are so light. An ideal speaker would have a concrete cabinet but apart from that an MDF can give the lowest resonances. Trace Elliot made many cabs from MDF, hence the weight. 

• Haha 1