Why become a member? ×

Do you have a birth year bass?

BassAgent

18 hours ago, tobiewharton said:

I'm ambivalent about it, but understand the appeal. I'm 1983 and I think the Precision Specials were cool. If I had a need of something in that ballpark and found a good one for a good price, the year matching would be a bonus.

Not sure if you've ever tried one of the Precision Elites from that year.  My friend had one at the time and I thought it was the coolest.  Of course, I was 15 and didn't have much experience so no idea what I'd think of it now. 

Edited by Agent 00Soul
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Agent 00Soul said:

Not sure if you've ever tried one of the Precision Elites from that year.  My friend had one at the time and I thought it was the coolest.  Of course, I was 15 at the time and didn't have much experience so no idea what I'd think of it now. 

I haven't, but I would like to - especially the double P version. I've tried a nice Special and also a Lyte, which I was partial to; I rather like Fender's attempts to mess with the recipe in the 80s - would be nice to see a bit more of that these days! 

Yep, I got lucky.  It's always a risk with guitars that old, but thanks to a decent setup (Joe White Guitars), it plays as well as a new one, but has that nice worn in feel too.  One of the conversations we have when I take it to a rehearsal or gig is wondering about it's history.  We came to the conclusion guitars should have to have a history logbook type thing so you know where they've been...  one of things I'll start when I'm ruler of the world... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, tauzero said:

Hayman 4040. Rickenbacker (assorted). Hofner 500/1. One of these is a decent bass. The other two are more famous.

The Hofner and Ricks would be a flat "No" from me,  so I guess it'd be the Hayman, then.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a 60s P-bass, as I'd had different year versions from the 80s onwards. I just found my self in a situation, about 11 years ago, where I had the time to look  (time off work recovering after an opp at home), the gig money stored up wondering what to buy ...and then there it was. A 1961 players P, all original. I checked it out, all hung together and played beautifully....since then I have bought a Spitfire Scratch plate for it, the original was doing the usual shrinking thing and had it pinned to a piece of wood, and a new period case....love it 

Edited by Petey
  • Like 2