Why become a member? ×

Stage monitoring

Hi all. Can anyone help?

I want to experiment with using a Behringer PK108A active monitor for my bass sound when gigging.

Do I need to connect the monitor to the mixer, and then the mixer to my bass amp?

My bass amp has an XLR out put on the back. Would this be used as an option for DI connectivity and for going into the mixer.

Total thicko with tech. Please go easy on me.

Thanks in advance 

Do you want the monitor to enable you to hear the rest of the band plus the bass? A bit puzzled why you want to duplicate when you're already using a bass amp.

Edited by Dan Dare
  • Like 1

You haven't quite given enough information in the question. Nevertheless I would almost always go bass to pedals (if you use them) and then into a good DI with the balanced out going to the desk. You can then choose to either get an aux feed back from the desk to hear both yourself and the rest of the mix (and plug that into IEMs, a powered wedge like the Behringer you mentioned etc.), or you can take the the thru from the DI box and plug that into a bass amp, or indeed a powered monitor, to only monitor the bass signal in addition to any other foldback you are receiving.

• Like 1

Again you need to get back to us so we know what you are trying to achieve. If you just want bass through the monitor then you can take your signal from a DI or straight from the bass. If you have DI on your amp you could use that to feed the monitor or the mixing desk and you can also buy a splitter to send a feed to both at the same time. If you want anything else in your monitor then it would be better to take the signal from your mixer.

I'm a little worried about your little Behringer as a bass monitor though, it won't go very loud and doesn't have a lot of bass. If it's something you own already there is no harm in trying it but it's not what I would buy for bass. Reports are that it sounds good but distorts easily when overloaded. You'd need to have it on  a pole at head height for it to be useful. You couldn't use it as a bass amp/monitor on it's own except at very modest levels.

Apologies if this is slightly off topic, but as others have said, I can't encourage you enough to go down the in-ears route - both for the ability to hear yourself/quality of tone, but also from a hearing protection angle too.

You can spend an unlimited amount of money on IEMs, but equally you can give it a go for very little money.

My first setup was a little Rolls box https://rolls.com/product/PM50s (though I'm sure there's loads of alternatives these days) which has two inputs - you feed your bass signal into one channel and an 'everything else' or FoH mix or headphone out signal from whatever mixing desk you use into the other channel. You can then just mix your bass louder or quieter against everything else to suit.

Headphones wise you can spend anywhere from £20 up to thousands, but up to a certain extent you get what you pay for. A really good cheap 'toe in the water' option are the KZ ZS10s which are £35 and a lot of people  seem to like https://www.amazon.co.uk/Linsoul-KZ-ZS10-Earphones-Detachable-Black/dp/B07QKYTGH9

Switching to IEMs was an absolute game changer for me, and I managed to convince my band to go ampless and run a silent stage a few years ago now, so everything goes through the PA. With the right mixer everyone has individual control of their own mix, there are no amp volume wars so it's a far better sound out front for the audience, and no one goes deaf!

• Like 3

On 02/04/2024 at 01:05, joel406 said:

Just use a good DI or pre map pedal and run IEMs. It's not that hard. What your asking for is just wrong.

Which part? Seemed fine to me. 

You're all over the place in your description of what you are trying to do. Really.

Start again with what gear you are currently using and what problem you have that needs a solution.

[ I very much doubt that what you have on your mind is going to be that solution. Maybe it can be, but not the way you seem to think it would go ]

Over to you.

Go easy on the OP guys, he said he is looking for information, not wanting a near bashing. Also regarding IEMs, they are great but you have to get buy in from the rest of the band as it will probably cost a lot in total. With my lot of dinosaurs, it’s a non-starter. 

Once the OP give a full explanation we can try to help.

• Like 2