Why become a member? ×

Ibanez 5005 prestige

kjfitzy

What’s yer opinion on the Ibanez 5005 prestige? Never had an Ibanez before and this sounds and looks class, torn between a G&l  Fullerton and the Ibanez. Wont have bucks again for a long time so wouldn’t mind getting folks opinions , about 2300 euro to spend, or if anyone has other suggestions I could look at, 🤘🤘

Edited by kjfitzy

The ibanez 5005 is a lovely bass, if you have the strength for it. It looks nice, it feels nice, the pickups are very versatile and sound great. All in all there is very little bad to say about it, except, it weighs a lot, because it is dripping in Wenge, which is heavy. I have one, and I rarely gig it because of the weight, it is so much heavier than my 1605, whcih is very similar, except poplar where the 5005 is wenge.

Try one and see if you get on with the weight ok

I wrote about mine here:

• Thanks 1

Thanks woodinblack, weight is one thing doesn’t bother me as I’m used to a bit, and as far as price goes, I think they are with the bucks? Il look around for a good used one like urs , but if I can’t get one , I wouldn’t mind spending the big bucks on a new one , u seem to love urs,  ( except weight)😂

Nice, and the SR body shape is lovely and comfortable.

Yep, Barts.

Yep, exotic woods.

Yep, Made in Japan.

But I can't help but to think that there are plenty of other excellent basses to be had for ~€2300. That's just the new stuff.

What you can get second-hand in excellent condition for that money....

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

The ibanez 5005 is a lovely bass, if you have the strength for it. It looks nice, it feels nice, the pickups are very versatile and sound great. All in all there is very little bad to say about it, except, it weighs a lot, because it is dripping in Wenge, which is heavy. I have one, and I rarely gig it because of the weight, it is so much heavier than my 1605, whcih is very similar, except poplar where the 5005 is wenge.

Try one and see if you get on with the weight ok

I wrote about mine here:

I owned the SR5000 for a while and it was as light as a feather, I accept that the five string version is going to be a bit heavier, but I'm surprised that yours was so heavy.

3 hours ago, thebrig said:

I owned the SR5000 for a while and it was as light as a feather, I accept that the five string version is going to be a bit heavier, but I'm surprised that yours was so heavy.

Maybe the second gen version that is out now is lighter, mine is like a small sun!

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Maybe the second gen version that is out now is lighter, mine is like a small sun!

Mine was second-hand and would have been about 2004/5 if I remember correctly, but I suppose not all wood weighs the same, even the same wood.🤔

• Thanks 1

For the OP, it was a great bass that not only looks fantastic, but it is one of the easiest playing basses I've ever owned, plenty of variation in tones, and balances superbly.

• Like 1

Thanks thebrig, all the vids I’ve watched are saying it’s surprisingly light aswell, these are ones that have been bought in the last year. The G&l Fullerton deluxe lb 2500 is also appealing to me and it’s the same money, to be honest I play P and loads of tone variations is something I don’t need, so I’m edging towards G&l 

1 hour ago, kjfitzy said:

Thanks thebrig, all the vids I’ve watched are saying it’s surprisingly light aswell, these are ones that have been bought in the last year. The G&l Fullerton deluxe lb 2500 is also appealing to me and it’s the same money, to be honest I play P and loads of tone variations is something I don’t need, so I’m edging towards G&l 

I've owned over thirty basses over the years and I would say that 75% of them were P basses, I've tried and owned many other great basses as well including Warwicks, high-end Ibanez's, Jazz basses, etc.. but I kept going back to P basses and I'm now down to just two Precisions. 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thebrig said:

I've owned over thirty basses over the years and I would say that 75% of them were P basses, I've tried and owned many other great basses as well including Warwicks, high-end Ibanez's, Jazz basses, etc.. but I kept going back to P basses and I'm now down to just two Precisions. 👍

The P is a veritable silver bullet!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kjfitzy said:

It is a very different bass (I used to have an l2500 too), much bigger neck, much bigger feeling bass in general, but still quite a variation of tones on it, its not like a P although it can make that kind of sound

• Like 1

Jesus lads me head is wrecked😂😂😂😂😂….,lads as wiegjt goes,,, I can’t find the weight of the prestige 5005 anywere, I like weight but lads have said they are very light,,, Ibanez havnt hallowed the body have they?? 

@kjfitzy I own and use a SR5006 for about 10 years, which is the six string version of the 5005. It is the most comfortable and ergonomic six string bass I ever had and sounds great, too. It weights in between 9 and 10 lbs which was never an issue for me as it is so ideally shaped to match my preference in ergonomics both playing stand up or seated. (I tend to "wear" the bass in the same position stand up as seated, meaning relaitvely high and it balances perfectly without needing either hand to hold it in place) I also have an earlier iteration of it from the SR Prestige line, called SR3006 which is basically the same model without the wengé top and back and I think the 5 version of it, the SR3005 could be what @thebrig referred to as these were produced in the 2000's and are quite a bit lighter than the SR5000/5/6 basses in my experience. 

These are not chambered to my knowledge.

edit: I know your are looking at the 5005, all the above is my experience with the six string version and based on that, the 5005 is very highly recommended, you'll get a bass that is extremely well made, sounds great and very well designed.

Here's the two sixers in question 

IMG_5890.thumb.jpg.01ca868ec955285a2c9254b32ea9c7da.jpg

Edited by Paulhauser
my post makes more sense now
  • Thanks 1

Wow,, stunners, thanks a lot paul , I’m getting into a lot of blues style, Tommy Shannon with double trouble, I suppose it’s unfair to want a do all bass😂😂 , the wenge really is a stunning wood, it really grabs me, I do like a bit of wieght,, I think my mind is made up now,,,, the 5005 is the one for me I think, should be ready to pull trigger in next week or so,🤘

1 hour ago, kjfitzy said:

Wow,, stunners, thanks a lot paul , I’m getting into a lot of blues style, Tommy Shannon with double trouble, I suppose it’s unfair to want a do all bass😂😂 , the wenge really is a stunning wood, it really grabs me, I do like a bit of wieght,, I think my mind is made up now,,,, the 5005 is the one for me I think, should be ready to pull trigger in next week or so,🤘

I know you are looking to buy brand new but I've just seen this on eBay:

Ibanez Prestige Made in Japan SR5005 5 String Bass Guitar 

Literally brand new, bought for studio use, replaced strings, set it up, tuned it and then just put away in it's case

Not a fingerprint on it.

All original paperwork, inspection and serial certificates and Ibanez bass multi tool included.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204676391402?var=0&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338749374&toolid=20006&_ul=GB&customid=GB_619_204676391402.145620983889~2062689180232-g_CjwKCAjwnv-vBhBdEiwABCYQA8PA5oe9dFjDUmq6C-8YLp0No8bUNPN_umeK86U5oljb-Fz6KJ2szhoCkSgQAvD_BwE

The brig, thanks man but see by time I’ve paid customs and changed to sterling from euros,,, it would be more than a brand new one, but thanks man for the thought👍🤘

2 hours ago, kjfitzy said:

The brig, thanks man but see by time I’ve paid customs and changed to sterling from euros,,, it would be more than a brand new one, but thanks man for the thought👍🤘

Yes sorry mate, I realised after I posted that you are in Ireland.

Mind you, if was into 5-string basses, I'd be tempted to snap that up even if I didn't need it, lol. 😉

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, kjfitzy said:

Ya man it is a beauty. I’m looking at a sixxer now to😂😂😂😂😂

Lol, four strings is enough for me!🤣

Honestly though, The Ibanez SR range of basses are great, even the entry level ones are well made and play well, I've also owned a SR1200 Premium for a few years and it was superb, but the Prestige models are absolutely top notch instruments.👍

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, kjfitzy said:

I’m looking at a sixxer now to

Come over to the dark side. The water's fine...*

I'd love an SR5006, but I already have 2 SR 6s, a BTB, a Cort A6 and a couple of SRC6s. The wenge is beautiful on the 5000 series, but I can't justify getting one for that.

* Honestly, not a Guinness reference. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Crazy cloud, man I’m getting a sixxer, just put down a deposit on a premium sr 1206,, a beauty and less than half the price, now I can get a G&l 2500 aswell,,🤘

Edited by kjfitzy

13 minutes ago, kjfitzy said:

Crazy cloud, man I’m getting a sixxer, just put down a deposit on a premium sr 1206,, a beauty and less than half the price, now I can get a G&l 2500 aswell,,🤘

Sweet, and a great combination of instruments as it should give you a wide tonal palette with the Big Singles and MFDs.

Looking forward to the NBD threads for both.

• Thanks 1