Why become a member? ×

Decent power supply at a reasonable cost? Not Truetone?

Minininjarob

I bought a Truetone One Spot after being recommended one by a friend. More expensive than a generic one but I hoped the brand promises would be good. 
Unfortunately the earth pin has snapped off making the whole thing useless and Truetone are unwilling to help me (long story). Seems it is a common issue looking at reviews 

So I don’t want another Truetone product!! 
I have maybe 6 pedals max (4 at the moment but thinking of a couple more). What would people recommend as a cost effective mains power supply?

I really can’t afford to spend loads of money. 
The One Spot worked really well with a daisy chain cable BTW but the shoddy plug was the weak link. 

I had the exact same issue with the Truetone One Spot earth pin snapping off. GuitarGuitar sent me a replacement with no issues, but I never really trusted it after that and was always super cautious when using it. I ended up buying the Truetone CS6 as it fits on the underside of my pedalboard, it's been great, and as it has a standard kettle/IEC cable I've got no worries about the plug. But yeah, that's Truetone again which you understandably want to avoid!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, grapefruitmoon said:

I had the exact same issue with the Truetone One Spot earth pin snapping off. GuitarGuitar sent me a replacement with no issues, but I never really trusted it after that and was always super cautious when using it. I ended up buying the Truetone CS6 as it fits on the underside of my pedalboard, it's been great, and as it has a standard kettle/IEC cable I've got no worries about the plug. But yeah, that's Truetone again which you understandably want to avoid!

It’s annoying as it’s such a fundamental design flaw, it’s so weak, and it makes the whole thing useless 

16 minutes ago, Minininjarob said:

Thanks for the help all I’ll go for a HB unit. 
One last question - what sort of pedals use other than a 9v supply? I’m not going to be using any weird boutique pedals I think. 

Too many to list here, but not that many in the grand scheme of things.

It should say on the pedal next to the power input; if not, check the manual.

9V tip (or centre) negative is the usual configuration.

1 hour ago, Minininjarob said:

It’s annoying as it’s such a fundamental design flaw, it’s so weak, and it makes the whole thing useless 

Not only that but IME PSUs with plastic earth pins don't fit as snugly and securely into the mains socket. Mine came out just far enough to kill the power to all the connected devices in my rack case mid-gig. These days I won't entertain any device that doesn't have a standard UK mains plug with metal pins at the end of proper cable for gigging use.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Blimey after loads of emails Truetone said they would send me a new unit - I think from the USA for some reason. 
Anyway received the package today and all I got was an extension cable. 
Honestly you couldn’t make this up. 

IMG_3595.jpeg

Edited by Minininjarob

8 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

I would take the original broken device back to the shop where you bought it and tell them you want a replacement or your money back under trading standard regulations as it's clearly not fit for purpose.

Bought from Amazon. Already been there unfortunately. 

34 minutes ago, Minininjarob said:

Bought from Amazon. Already been there unfortunately. 

Did you send that second photo to Truetone in the course of your email conversation?

If so I would search them out on social media and tell them how poor your think their product and subsequent customer service is. Maybe that will spur them into action.

9 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Did you send that second photo to Truetone in the course of your email conversation?

If so I would search them out on social media and tell them how poor your think their product and subsequent customer service is. Maybe that will spur them into action.

Yes I did.

Quick rundown

Pin broke - went back to Amazon who linked me back to manufacturer in USA. Who couldn’t understand why I was contacting them and sent to to UK distributor. Who asked why Amazon hadn’t sorted it out (had to explain why to them). After a few emails back and forth they just started ignoring me completely. So I went back to USA contact and told them what happended and they said they’d send me a new one (bear in mind they had the original info of the problem) which I waited a a while for (not realising it was being sent from the USA!) and they I got the extension cable. 

The whole thing has gone on for so long it’s past the 1yr warranty (yeah I know about the 6 year thing) so I can’t go back to Amazon (automated responses etc). 
I used to work in retail for a long time and know how everything works and how to get the best result etc but this is just amusing now. They are so disorganised it’s unreal. 
You can see why I don’t want one of their products again. 😂😂

• Sad 2

Interesting to read this.

I bought two One Spot 9v adaptors to replace a knackered old Boss one.

However while trying to get to the root of an awful earth hum I put the adaptor down and the cheapy plastic earth pin snapped off. It’s gone straight in the bin as it’s not fixable.

Gone back to using another even older Boss one from the bottom of my draw instead.

Im also in the market for a multi power supply but not spending money on any more 

Truetone stuff.