Why become a member? ×

String gauge help!

Hey folks!

So I’ve decided to move back to Status basses because as much as I loved the dingwall sound, I loved my Status sounds (and basses!) more!

So my issue is that I’m tuned G# D# G# C# F#… on my Dingwall that low G# is a .150 from Newtone. It works great and the sounds that are up to A# are possible without making the string super tight, and the G# isn’t loose and so flubby. Problem is the Dingwall has a 37” scale, and my status will have a 34” low B string. 

anyone any idea on gauges to use? Dawn @ Status is going to speak with Rob and get his thoughts. Previously on my 4 string Status basses, I was tuned CGCF with 110-50s. 

I can imagine the gauge will need to increase but not sure by what…

edit: tried a calculator online. This seem alright? 

IMG_5520.jpeg

Edited by woodyratm
  • Like 1

Not that I played the same status bass as you, but on my 5 string status my preference was 135 B, 100 -40 E -G (I'd just buy a 4 string set and add the 135 B) this was with Elites stainless. The tension matched well and had a wonderful low B.

I always found the 125 that was bundled with 100-40 gauge as way too light and this is coming from someone who prefers light gauge strings (most of my playing previously was on 35-95 with 130 for the B).

I think if you're used to a 37" scale with a 150 gauge string there isn't really going to be something that will immediately match the tone and feel on 34".

Going up to 175 may get you close, but I suspect the string will play like crap once you're heading up the neck.

Have you got some old or surplus 150's from your dingwall?

May be worth getting one in your status as a rough starting point - I'm aware it will be too long, but chopping some length at the tuning head and then devising some way to add length to the silk/ball end (using a washer and the tube from an old metal ball point pen for example).

This will let you know just how far out the feel and sound is and what you want to aim for.

Let us know how you get on as I'd be keen to hear the results 

1 hour ago, woodyratm said:

Hey folks!

So I’ve decided to move back to Status basses because as much as I loved the dingwall sound, I loved my Status sounds (and basses!) more!

So my issue is that I’m tuned G# D# G# C# F#… on my Dingwall that low G# is a .150 from Newtone. It works great and the sounds that are up to A# are possible without making the string super tight, and the G# isn’t loose and so flubby. Problem is the Dingwall has a 37” scale, and my status will have a 34” low B string. 

anyone any idea on gauges to use? Dawn @ Status is going to speak with Rob and get his thoughts. Previously on my 4 string Status basses, I was tuned CGCF with 110-50s. 

I can imagine the gauge will need to increase but not sure by what…

edit: tried a calculator online. This seem alright? 

IMG_5520.jpeg

That D# looks a bit on the heavy side. What does a .100 give you? I'd expect it to pretty much correspond to a 40-60-80-100 set plus a bottom hawser, for which a .150 looks about right.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tauzero said:

That D# looks a bit on the heavy side. What does a .100 give you? I'd expect it to pretty much correspond to a 40-60-80-100 set plus a bottom hawser, for which a .150 looks about right.

Truth be told I only tweaked the G# for that image!

Current gauge is .150 .098 .076 .057 .043 

If I adjust the numbers to try and match my current setup. I get the below. 

Am I best to try and aim for 40lbs of tension? Least according to that site at least. 

IMG_5524.png

Remember that the D'Addario string tension calculator is only accurate for D'Adddario strings. Other makes may have different tension due to materials and construction methods being different. 

Also don't forget that compliance will also have an effect on how stiff a string feels on a given instrument.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Remember that the D'Addario string tension calculator is only accurate for D'Adddario strings. Other makes may have different tension due to materials and construction methods being different. 

Also don't forget that compliance will also have an effect on how stiff a string feels on a given instrument.

Ayeee I’m giving a rough base for what I’d need. 160 / 105 / 0.76 / 0.59 / 0.43 is looking like would give “similar” tension according to that calculator (using Kalium strings). 

I know that V-Man is using Status (and has an sig model), which is 4 string tuned to B - so hoping Rob will confirm they’ll be okay. 

IMG_5525.png

IMG_5526.png

Edited by woodyratm

D'Addario and others give you direction, but you need to do real life trials to find the right strings. Yes, it costs somewhat, but then you have done the work, and have found the best set for your ears and fingers.