Why become a member? ×

Trevor Dunn

lidl e

Any Mr. Bungle/Fantomas/Secret Chiefs 3 fans here?

Trevor Dunn has been my favourite bassist in my favourite for the last 30 years.  Such a killer player tonally, groove-wise and avant garde-ily. 

The songs he and the band were writing at 15-16 are still inspiring the yourh of today. 

Mr. Bungle is currently touring with Dave Lombardo and Scott Ian in the band. They are only doing very early hardcore tracks, but i am hoping someday for a full reunion (except for the sax playe who killed his wife)

This is my all time favourite bassline. Takes a few to kick in..

Some other killer stuff. This is from their first album mostly written as teenagers. 

• Like 2

I love Mr Bungle - Trevor was one of those "how the hell is he doing that?!" players when I was a teenager.

I haven't really managed to get into the Easter Bunny stuff, I love the style of music but it doesn't feel like Bungle to me.

I've seen him a few times live with Bungle and Fantomas too.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

I love Mr Bungle - Trevor was one of those "how the hell is he doing that?!" players when I was a teenager.

I haven't really managed to get into the Easter Bunny stuff, I love the style of music but it doesn't feel like Bungle to me.

I've seen him a few times live with Bungle and Fantomas too.

I lived in San Francisco in the 90-early 00s and saw them a few times as well including NYE 1999/2000. That was some show. Also got to see Fantomas' first show ever during that time.

I saw the Melvins/Fantomas Big Band show in Kentish Town, London when i lived there in 2006.

I like the Easter Bunny stuff and would go see them if they came to Ireland, but if they did a full reunion, I'd travel and pay big money to make sure to be there.

Bungle are currently touring Australia and the original drummer and horn player joined them onstage last week.

I dont think they'll reunite, but i hold out hope.

They're definitely notnthe same band with Lombardo and Ian, but they are still the tightest band around.

Here's my favourite band recently doing a cover of my favourite song by my third favourite band! I'm sure youve seen this. It's killer.

• Like 1

Trevor Dunn is one of my absolute favorite bass player too:

Don't forget his avantgarde jazz side project "Trevor Dunn's Trio Convulsant", where he also plays a mean upright/double bass:

Or John Zorn's avantgarde jazz "Moonchild" project where Trevor Dunn played bass, and Mike Patton handled the vocals:

Also personally I prefer Mr. Bungle's "California" album :

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Don't forget his avantgarde jazz side project "Trevor Dunn's Trio Convulsant", where he also plays a mean upright/double bass:

Or John Zorn's avantgarde jazz "Moonchild" project where he played bass, and Mike Paton handled the vocals:

Aye! I didnt want to get too deep in the weeds with the intro!

I saw him do Masada with John Zorn, Trey and Mike from Bungle on it as well.

Trevor is fairly active on instagram and seems to play in many projects currently.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Joey Baron on drums in that seocnd clip.

Not to change topics, but he is the absolute sickest drummer maybe ever.

His work on John Zorn's Naked City is unparalleled!

Edited by lidl e
  • Like 1

Just now, Baloney Balderdash said:

Also as I just edited in I personally prefer Mr. Bungle's "California" album :

Saw them three times in that tour. 

An absolute epic tour de force. I mean, it almost nakes me ashamed to write original music because it will never be as close to as good. 

I love Disco Volante just as much, but the first album will always hold a special place to me because it came out as i was starting to really get into playing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lidl e said:

Saw them three times in that tour. 

An absolute epic tour de force. I mean, it almost nakes me ashamed to write original music because it will never be as close to as good. 

I love Disco Volante just as much, but the first album will always hold a special place to me because it came out as i was starting to really get into playing.

Ah, yes, the "Disco Volante" album is absolutely just as amazing, agree, forgot that momentarily, both those albums are much better than their debut self titled album in my opinion (even if I do still like that album): 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Ah, yes Disco Volante is just as good, agree, forgot that momentarily, both those albums better than their debut self titled album in my opinion: 

In Melbourne last week at the "reunion" Trevor and Bar McKinnon played the first 3 seconds of that and the place went nuts. It was so cool to hear.

• Like 1

Yup, love Mr. Bungle and Fantômas, but don't know SC3.

Ashamed to report I've never particularly noticed Trevor Dunn (me too preoccupied with the composition, I guess),

but I will listen betterly hereafter.

As to the Bungle dude, whilst I love Disco (quite the statement, that one!) and California, just like @lidl e I have a special place in my heart for the first album.

BTW, lidl e, is this where all the intricacies in Def Nettle (partly) come from?
I must repeat that the radio programme to me didn't seem to do you guys justice.

• Like 2

I'm a little ashamed to admit to being a bit disappointed when I saw Bungle at the Astoria, they played mostly California material which I was unfamiliar with.

I've since gone on to consider it their - and Patton's for that matter - finest hour. I'd love to go back an relive that gig!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BassTractor said:

Yup, love Mr. Bungle and Fantômas, but don't know SC3.

Ashamed to report I've never particularly noticed Trevor Dunn (me too preoccupied with the composition, I guess),

but I will listen betterly hereafter.

As to the Bungle dude, whilst I love Disco (quite the statement, that one!) and California, just like @lidl e I have a special place in my heart for the first album.

BTW, lidl e, is this where all the intricacies in Def Nettle (partly) come from?
I must repeat that the radio programme to me didn't seem to do you guys justice.

If i could get 1/10th of 1% of a bungle influence,  id be thrilled!

Lads in the band a bit traditional, although the guitarist is a nig Bungle fan.

• Like 1

Hitting Manchester in June. remember the big bro coming back from a party with the OU818 demo tape.

Brilliant. Met Patton in Belfast with Tomahawk, was just walking around warming up his vocals and drinking Redbull.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, weepaul said:

Hitting Manchester in June. remember the big bro coming back from a party with the OU818 demo tape.

Brilliant. Met Patton in Belfast with Tomahawk, was just walking around warming up his vocals and drinking Redbull.

I had considered flying over,  but i wont do it for just Easter Bunny. 

OU818. So amazing. They did that all when they were 16-17 as well. Incredible stuff.

Yeah, obviously im a big Patton fan as well. I rate FNM's Angel Dust as highly as the 3 Bungle albums and King For a Day.... just below.

Although funnily enough im not a big Billy Gould fan. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, lidl e said:

I had considered flying over,  but i wont do it for just Easter Bunny. 

OU818. So amazing. They did that all when they were 16-17 as well. Incredible stuff.

Yeah, obviously im a big Patton fan as well. I rate FNM's Angel Dust as highly as the 3 Bungle albums and King For a Day.... just below.

Although funnily enough im not a big Billy Gould fan. 

FNM was my first gig. Angel Dust tour, amazing album. Think I was 12.

• Like 2