Why become a member? ×

Adding video to recordings

lidl e

Hey all,

So ive finally got my recording setup sorted. I feel im able to get very good sound using ableton. 

How do people get great audio and video? Do they do separately and combine? Are they just using their phone camera for the audio? I dont think so.

I dont want to film me, but icwant to be able to film  my pedals while playing but still get the good audio.

@0175westwood29 any insight? Basically looking to do what you do, but shorter clips and without me on camera!

• Like 1

I have limited experience in this space... but I had to do some of this as part of my course work. In Adobe Premiere Pro you can separate the audio and video and put whatever audio track you like to the video. So you could import the two independent of each other and then synchronise them if you wish to do that. 

• Like 1

If the video is being shot at the same time as the audio recording, it's a simple matter, using Shotcut (a free video editor...) to replace the video audio track with the recorded audio track, simply lining up the two for synchronising. The resulting edited video, with added fade-in/fade-out, or other Fx as required, can then be rendered for YouTube, again very simply. Hope this helps... :friends:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lidl e said:

Hey all,

So ive finally got my recording setup sorted. I feel im able to get very good sound using ableton. 

How do people get great audio and video? Do they do separately and combine? Are they just using their phone camera for the audio? I dont think so.

I dont want to film me, but icwant to be able to film  my pedals while playing but still get the good audio.

@0175westwood29 any insight? Basically looking to do what you do, but shorter clips and without me on camera!

If your getting a sound your happy with on abelton then it’s a simple as recording what you want to see and just making sure there’s something like a 4 count or sync clap so you can sync things in your editing software. 

I use a mix of camera and iPhone video but always split the sound and video tho 

I used to try and run from my mixer into the camera and do it all in one but was just a pain. 

• Like 1

Thanks all. Im surprised it is done separately but it does make sense.

I will endeavour to sort this out.

My buddy recently was able to simultaneously film and record audio directly into his phone using a darkglass element.  I thought that was pretty cool. 

Very slightly out of sync though.

1 minute ago, lidl e said:

Thanks all. Im surprised it is done separately but it does make sense.

I will endeavour to sort this out.

My buddy recently was able to simultaneously film and record audio directly into his phone using a darkglass element.  I thought that was pretty cool. 

Very slightly out of sync though.

You can do things together, but some like to treat the audio I try and get it right so I don’t need to do anything in post. 

with a good sync clap or I palm mute and chug to sync together it’s very simple in (for me) premier pro as you can auto sync so it takes seconds 

• Like 1

Used to use Final Cut Pro and Premier, but these days I just shove it all into iMovie and have done, video edits don't need to be Micheal Bay level and it's easy enough to sync the footage with whatever audio you have.

If I'm editing video to the audio, as you would with a band promo, it's very easy, if you're doing post-style sound design for existing footage, I'd definitely go ProTools/Reaper/Logic etc.

• 5 weeks later...
17 hours ago, lidl e said:

what about something like this. Looks perfect and would eliminate the need for syncing?

https://www.roland.com/us/products/gomixer_pro-x/

@0175westwood29

16716124_800.jpg

That will work for sure, I like having the audio separate but that’s just a preference. 

also adobe has a super simple sync feature built in 

• Thanks 1