Why become a member? ×

Vintage valve amp, but still able to DI to PA?

ossyrocks

14 minutes ago, James Nada said:

This Behringer DI might be worth a punt, if you want something short term, or just to try as proof of concept. Less than £40.

It allows for connection between amp and speaker.

I've used one for the purpose of running a 'tap' off a PA system, with good results.

https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/Behringer-DI100-Ultra-DI-Box/2BI?origin=product-ads&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAxaCvBhBaEiwAvsLmWIqwyGg1Mbmiesh5RYXHvjjP3erUCD01QnvWoh3I44iZaihW8kCNERoC8ucQAvD_BwE

I’ve got four of those Behringer DI boxes for general stuff like acoustic guitar, fiddle and gob iron, and I have a very nice Radial J48 for my bass in case I run into one of those ‘engineers’ who doesnt want to use the DI out from my EBS Stanley Clarke preamp. In truth, there is no noticeable difference between the Behringer and Radial boxes in a live sound environment. The Behringers can run on either a 9V battery or 48v phantom power. I must confess I’ve never stuck the Behringer between amp and cab as all my tone shaping is done with EBS, and the amp/cab are merely there so that I and my fellow band mates can hear what I am playing. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ossyrocks said:

The Countryman looks a cracking bit of kit, but I can only find one place to buy it, and it's £336 plus shipping. I like nice kit, and I don't mind paying for it, but this seems like a rather luxurious purchase which will get limited use.

https://ambersound.co.uk/collections/countryman/products/cou-dt85

£280 plus shipping is still getting on for double the NZ price.

Ask your tech about fitting the bits and bobs to put a balanced DI on you amp.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, BassmanPaul said:

Worst case stick a microphone in front of the cabinet.

I couldn't gig with a Bassman back in the Sixties so you'll need some support unless you just like fuzz bass. :)

I know, you’ve said it before when I’ve talked about this amp. But, this is a ground up re-imagining of a Bassman, it’s shaking the house and staying clean up to around 5 on the volume at the moment. It might get louder, but I haven’t had the courage to try it yet.

• Like 1

I successfully gigged with a 50w Bassman once I started using two 4x12 cabs. It wasn't the amp, it was the low displacement speakers of the day. The 'benchmark' Jensen C12 had 49cc displacement. A middle of the road twelve today has 250cc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ossyrocks said:

I know, you’ve said it before when I’ve talked about this amp. But, this is a ground up re-imagining of a Bassman, it’s shaking the house and staying clean up to around 5 on the volume at the moment. It might get louder, but I haven’t had the courage to try it yet.

Yes I have said it before and I'm not trying to rain on your parade. It's just that the huge disappointment I felt with that Blonde Blackface amp and matching twin twelve was so mind numbing that even today I get the shivers thinking about it.

For interest what was done to the amp??

Best advice I can offer if you're having to Di and you're using the venues sound guy (or someone front outside the band) is to completely trust the sound guy to the point you almost don't care. 

The sound guy will know his desk and pa better than anyone, and the room if he works there regularly so he'll get the best sound for the band from where the audience are. To do that give him the absolute best, clean non eqd sound you can. 

You need 100% trust though. There's nothing worse than worrying about how you sound out front when you're playing, and nothing worse for a sound guy than a band member trying to do his job for him from a position where they can't even hear what it sounds like in the mix. 

If the sound guy is someone in the band, then same rules apply, but you can have some input into how it sounds, but be prepared to sculpt a new sound. 

In short, if you really need Diing to PA, your on sound stage will not always/ever equate to a good bass sound at the back of the room. 

Only my opinion though, other people's experience may be different. 

• Like 2

Ime the same sound jockeys that are insistent on a bass direct are the ones that goose the lows and decimate everything but a bit of clank. So I make a point of having them listen to the sound on stage before having them listen to my post EQ signal. My sound is very tight, staying out of the way of the kick drum.

We don't want that thundering either. It's even odds on the drummer getting up and removing the mic and just kicking the hell out of it when needed.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BassmanPaul said:

Yes I have said it before and I'm not trying to rain on your parade. It's just that the huge disappointment I felt with that Blonde Blackface amp and matching twin twelve was so mind numbing that even today I get the shivers thinking about it.

For interest what was done to the amp??

When I bought it I knew it had been heavily modded/messed with over the years. It's been rebuilt by Martin Garton (Gartone Amps). To paraphrase a famous quote, "blast off and nuke it from space, it's the only way to be sure". So that's we've done. The amp has been entirely gutted, new eyelet board, pots, valve bases, jacks, switches etc, redesigned circuit, increased voltages and filtering, slide switches are now mid boosts, Heyboer Twin Reverb output transformer (big iron and now 8 ohms to match my cab), NOS 7581A output valves, Telefunken pre-amps. It's whisper quiet in operation and has a great tone for bass through the Barefaced Super Compact.

• Like 2

On 06/03/2024 at 12:28, ossyrocks said:

The Countryman looks a cracking bit of kit, but I can only find one place to buy it, and it's £336 plus shipping. I like nice kit, and I don't mind paying for it, but this seems like a rather luxurious purchase which will get limited use.

https://ambersound.co.uk/collections/countryman/products/cou-dt85

Ooooof. I bought mine almost 20 years ago and it was half that. Having said that, I still use it on the regular. 

Plenty of people offering similar functionality though

Edited by Jack
  • Like 1