Why become a member? ×

Earplug recommendations - ACS? Or something else?

Like a complete numpty, I managed to lose one of the pair of attenuating earplugs I’ve been using for years at last weekends gig.

I’ve had them so long I don’t even recall the make of them. I may as well chuck the other one 🤷‍♂️.

Browsing the web for suitable replacements has led me to ACS and in particular, these - the PRO17 Customs.

At ~£150, they’re not exactly cheap, but you can’t put a price on saving your hearing.

They seem to be the middle of the ACS range and I’m happy to pay the money, even if it does kick me out of the Abstinence Challenge.

I just thought I’d put a post up for any pros/cons for ACS and/or any worthy alternatives to consider.

Have at it Basschatters. I need to get something ordered fairly sharpish.

I have the PRO 17s and they’re very good, they turn my classic rock band from a band that really endangers hearing to a band playing at a volume not unlike that of a home stereo. Additionally unlike some cheaper ones you get a really good balanced sound through them, no focusing and removing specific frequency areas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I have the PRO 17s and they’re very good, they turn my classic rock band from a band that really endangers hearing to a band playing at a volume not unlike that of a home stereo. Additionally unlike some cheaper ones you get a really good balanced sound through them, no focusing and removing specific frequency areas.

Thanks Lozz. That's just the kind of review for the PRO17's that I was hoping to get 👍.

The place we played last week was a bit cramped and I had what is quite possibly the worlds loudest drummer a foot to my left and a PA speaker a foot to my right.

I've used the ACS Pro17's for the last 15 years in a number of different bands and going to others gigs. For me the £150 per pair is THE best value musical equipment I have bought. As @Lozz196 says many bands (including one of the ones I'm in :facepalm:) are a danger to hearing. My plan is that when I become unable to gig the ACS will have saved my hearing enough for me to still hear and enjoy my music collection.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

No way will replacing ear plugs kick you out of the Abstinence challenge.

Even if they were a new purchase and you weren't replacing them I would make an exception for safety equipment. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1