Why become a member? ×

Bass string advice for Eb Standard and Drob C#

I’m after string advice, it’s been while since I’ve bought some and quite frankly some are eye watering in price.

I tend to favour stainless steel strings as the seem to keep their zing for a bit longer, due to the band tuning to Eb standard and the occasional song dropping the Eb to C# - what gauge strings are best as I hate a slack/loose E string.

I used to like 110s years ago which would limit me to choices but I’m wondering if there’s a high tension 105’s string set seeing as string technology has come on in leaps and bounds.

Also something that’ll last, I got some elites last month but they go full/dead quickly even when using string cleaner.

Thanks in advance.

String tension calculator:

https://wahiduddin.net/calc/calc_guitar_tension_from_size.htm

Plot in the gauges of your usual set of strings in E standard tuning, then experiment with plotting in higher gauge strings to match the tension of your usual strings in Eb and Drop C tuning.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

Warwick Red Label steel rounds are quite high tension. I switched to them from Rotosound and instead of getting 4 weeks out of a set of Rotos got 8 - 10 weeks from a set of Warwick’s. Cheap too, currently £12 for 45-105 at G4M.

• Like 1