Why become a member? ×

Class D amp, potential flood damage !!

JottoSW1

So I had a little positive grid bias bass amp on my living room floor. 

Grabbed it during the catastrophe and a very small amount of water drained so it wasn't full to the brim.

Is it worth taking to a tech for him to dry fully and safety check or is the thing simply a write off.... ????

Landlord will be paying either way, but the amp has a load of personal patches on it and I'd like to keep it.

Amazingly my basses synth and other amps cabs survived the deluge, including a CTM 30 & Laney Nexus Tube thank you hot covers . Flooding & giant capacitors would not have been fun.

• Like 1

I'm sorry for your troubles I really am. I would consider sending it in to the manufacturer for their opinion. Water, especially filthy flood water, is not a healthy thing for any amp class D or no. Water would likely have gotten into the pots and switches. I don't think any manufacturer would gouge you with excessive fees for such an event.

• Like 1

I would want to be sure there isn't an unidentified safety hazard, or damage that could cause an amp failure that could then damage your speakers. A qualified tech could do this, but if it was me, repairs of flooded gear just don't make sense as they tend to fail later on if it is able to be fixed at all. I don't repair flood damaged gear, there's no way I can ethically warranty such a unit because of all the hidden damage.

• Like 3

Unfortunately it's not as simple as that and you might just make things worse. When disaster strikes if the item is of good quality it's worth putting money into it to promote reliability. 

Remember that flood water also contains sewage. Yuck!!

Edited by BassmanPaul
  • Like 1

On 24/02/2024 at 15:09, PaulThePlug said:

Open it up and have a look... go over it with a hair dryer on med heat... nowt to loose?..

If you power it up and it fails spectacularly, or damages a speaker attached to it, both are IME something to lose. 

Edited by agedhorse
  • Like 2

I live in a top (4th) floor flat. The mains water supply in the loft fractured.!!!!!!

Unit was away from falling water, carpet underneath was flooded before I managed to grab amplifier up. I suspect/hope that water only went into the bottom of the casing. I never leave any of my eqpt powered up. Am in contact with positive grid who are being quite helpful considering I bought it used on here & it's discontinued. I'd need to send it back to USA , I have the packaging. Still 

• Like 1

I would say it’s probably ok, leave it to dry out naturally in a warm room and it’ll be fine. Open it up and spray lots of electrical cleaner inside it and clean it thoroughly. Unless it’s been soaking for a while or was switched on when wet then it’ll be ok. 
I do know electronics. 

• Like 1

More equipment has been permanently damaged by following advice such as this! Indiscriminate spraying of contact cleaners inside a piece of equipment by someone who has no idea what that person is doing can cause more harm than good.

Following agedhorse's sound advice given on February 24 is the only sensible/safe route to follow..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BassmanPaul said:

More equipment has been permanently damaged by following advice such as this! Indiscriminate spraying of contact cleaners inside a piece of equipment by someone who has no idea what that person is doing can cause more harm than good.

Following agedhorse's sound advice given on February 24 is the only sensible/safe route to follow..

Or do as I suggested and bin it ! 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Minininjarob said:

I would say it’s probably ok, leave it to dry out naturally in a warm room and it’ll be fine. Open it up and spray lots of electrical cleaner inside it and clean it thoroughly. Unless it’s been soaking for a while or was switched on when wet then it’ll be ok. 
I do know electronics. 

If you do know electronics, you wouldn't recommend it...

• Like 1

On 04/03/2024 at 23:15, agedhorse said:

If you do know electronics, you wouldn't recommend it...

The person said they think only a small amount got into the casing, plus it was clean water. 

I’ve rescued many electronics from being damp that have lived for many years afterwards. Most electrical circuits can stand some damp as long as it not switched on at the time, and not for a long time. 

Of course if the Op can get a new one through insurance then I’d go that way for sure but I’d never bin something without testing and checking it first, especially if they aren’t going to get a new one FOC. 

If the OP is just going to bin it then they can send it to me and I’ll see if it can be reused. I’ve successfully repaired a lot of vintage and newer electronics, guitar amps are relatively new to me but the circuitry is fairly basic. 

I appreciate as a repair professional you might not want to touch them due to warranty issues but that doesn’t mean they can’t be sorted. 

Edited by Minininjarob

He poured water out of the amp, that’s not just damp in my book.

“Clean” flood water is loaded with corrosive minerals and contaminants. Cleaning PCBs is normally done with a final rinse using distilled or deionized water, then blown dry through an air knife. 

Sure if you know what you are doing and have access to the proper materials it may be successful but by the time you put that kind of labor into an inexpensive amp, it’s a generally a losing proposition. 

• Like 1

As I said before I'm truly sorry for your troubles. Your amp is a minor thing compared to the rest of your belongings. We're hoping that we would be unaffected by floods a we live basically at the top of a hill. Good luck. 

• Thanks 1

Look what the idiot contractors did to this heirloom / relic. Admittedly shoddily made 250yrs ago but Cuban Mahogany Veneer is/was beautiful. Maybe I should make some bass tops ??20240309_141539.thumb.jpg.3e88c1fa0990d76d47c1d3552c2beeed.jpg