Why become a member? ×

SOLD

jakenewmanbass

I have for sale a warwick thumb five thru neck (7 Laminates) bubinga and wenge. it was made in 1987 and was (I was told by the shop) one of the first to arrive in the uk. it has EMG pickups and everything you would expect from an instrument of that quality. It's been gigged extensively and recorded with (among others) Ike Willis of Frank Zappas band. The condition is good. I reckon it should be worth around £1200 but I'm open to offers
if you're interested stick a reply up and I'll respond
Jake

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='jakesbass' post='51048' date='Aug 26 2007, 10:00 PM']I have for sale a warwick thumb five thru neck (7 Laminates) bubinga and wenge. it was made in 1987 and was (I was told by the shop) one of the first to arrive in the uk. it has EMG pickups and everything you would expect from an instrument of that quality. It's been gigged extensively and recorded with (among others) Ike Willis of Frank Zappas band. The condition is good. I reckon it should be worth around £1200 but I'm open to offers
if you're interested stick a reply up and I'll respond
Jake[/quote]

any pics t be posted?

Pics are always good selling points and some of us just like to drool!

If you are taking pics could you photograph the back as well as the front and inc the back of the headstock.

I see you're based in London Jake but do you have the facility to travel/meet/post and how would you want payment, these all help buyers reach decisions.

Cheers and good luck with the sale.

thanks for the info guys.
I'm on hols at the moment so Ill post pics in a week or so.
can arrange for try outs in the London area, I could investigate courier costs if anyone were interested (no idea what they are at the mo) I would require cleared funds or cash before the bass left my posession. (i do have a paypal account but I've only ever purchased with it)
Jake

• 1 month later...

Ah, glad you put the pics up! I didn't realise that this was one of the very early Thumbs with the carved headstock rear. I've only ever seen a few 4 string versions, these basses were pretty much hands on when produced. The carving was labour intensive and soon dropped but certainly considered sought after among Thumb aficionados (though I've owned a few they never quite held my interest like the Streamers).

Shame you feel the need to sell at this point because the bass has all the qualities of a sought after model but just bad timing for a quick sale. I'd be looking at advertising this too a wider audience, referring to the carving (which is absolutely factory correct), which along with the wood figuring is a good selling point. However, please whip those strings off and give that fingerboard a clean and lemon oil :) It really will put a smile on my face.

Good luck with the sale.

Jakebass, I love this fine specimen of vintage Warwick-ary. I am the very proud owner of a 1988 Thumb NT. Mine also has the EMG's and a two band EQ. I love the detail of the back of your headstock. I have been looking for a couple of years to see if any one had another one of these basses with the carved headstock. I am glad to finally find someone else with this feature. I am however saddened that you are selling it and even sadder that i can't afford it right now (still trying to figure conversion to USD) BEAUTIFUL BASS!!!

[quote name='funkybassplayer' post='66931' date='Sep 28 2007, 02:38 PM']Jakebass, I love this fine specimen of vintage Warwick-ary. I am the very proud owner of a 1988 Thumb NT. Mine also has the EMG's and a two band EQ. I love the detail of the back of your headstock. I have been looking for a couple of years to see if any one had another one of these basses with the carved headstock. I am glad to finally find someone else with this feature. I am however saddened that you are selling it and even sadder that i can't afford it right now (still trying to figure conversion to USD) BEAUTIFUL BASS!!!

Thanks for the compliments funkybassplayer, it is indeed a fine instrument and I've had it from new. With regards to affording it right now, I'm not in a hurry to sell so it will go to someone that values it as I'll just wait for the right price.
Jake
ps your bass looks like it came from the same wood bank as mine, beautiful figuring.

Edited by jakesbass

yeah the figuring on mine is a little odd. on the bass side of the strings it is ver straght grained but on the treb side it is really swirly. i just noticed that you had a different bridge. what model bridge would that be? how is the adjustablity? any idea how much the conversion to USD would be?

Edited by funkybassplayer

[quote name='funkybassplayer' post='67066' date='Sep 28 2007, 07:26 PM']yeah the figuring on mine is a little odd. on the bass side of the strings it is ver straght grained but on the treb side it is really swirly. i just noticed that you had a different bridge. what model bridge would that be? how is the adjustablity? any idea how much the conversion to USD would be?[/quote]

I'm sure jakesbass can answer for himself but just to help out, the bridge is the original Schaller unit that was fitted to all of the early Warwick's, it predates the 'W' 2 piece bridge. It is as adjustable as the later units. You can obviously alter the intonation (F&:), you can alter the action (U&D) but like the 2 piece bridge you can alter the string spacing (S2S). In fact altering the string spacing on the 1 piece Schaller unit is far easier than the 2 piece as all you have to do is turn the bridge saddle which is actually a grooved wheel.

Conversion is almost a straight $2 = £1. To get an accurate rate just 'google' currency conversion and you'll get a multitude of options, however remember bank/paypal rates vary a lot so shop about.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='67078' date='Sep 28 2007, 07:50 PM']I'm sure jakesbass can answer for himself but just to help out, the bridge is the original Schaller unit that was fitted to all of the early Warwick's, it predates the 'W' 2 piece bridge. It is as adjustable as the later units. You can obviously alter the intonation (F&:), you can alter the action (U&D) but like the 2 piece bridge you can alter the string spacing (S2S). In fact altering the string spacing on the 1 piece Schaller unit is far easier than the 2 piece as all you have to do is turn the bridge saddle which is actually a grooved wheel.

Conversion is almost a straight $2 = £1. To get an accurate rate just 'google' currency conversion and you'll get a multitude of options, however remember bank/paypal rates vary a lot so shop about.[/quote]
Thanks Warwickhunt, been away gigging all weekend so thanks for posting the answers

Its as the man says guys
Jake

[quote name='phsycoandy' post='67891' date='Sep 30 2007, 09:14 PM']As people know I generally hate the look of Warwicks, but this one is somehow getting me some slight GAS, perhaps cause shes an old girl. Nice, me likes, i think.[/quote]
and she plays so well and sounds so great, you know you want it, you do you do you do

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just Bumping this for Crimbo, and I'll drop the price by £100 to £1100 if anyone wants to make me an offer. just remember guys 1/4 % interest rate cut means its yours (free, courtesy of the Bank of England) in 50 months :) (well 52 actually but thats only four and a bit years.... its nothing.... nothing I tell you)
Jake

Edited by jakesbass

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='jakesbass' post='102615' date='Dec 11 2007, 11:38 AM']Just Bumping this for Crimbo, and I'll drop the price to £100 if anyone wants to make me an offer. just remember guys 1/4 % interest rate cut means its yours (free, courtesy of the Bank of England) in 50 months :huh: (well 52 actually but thats only four and a bit years.... its nothing.... nothing I tell you)
Jake[/quote]

Yes please :)

sorry quote editing incase ppl didnt notice... yes.. im bored

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...