Why become a member? ×

Help building a rig

WrexhamBassist

1 hour ago, Dan Dare said:

A Rumble 112 cab isn't "crap", though. May not be state of the art, but perfectly decent.

This. I had two. Certainly not the source of any muddiness. Would have still had them apart from a rare pair of Purple Chili cabs came up on here.

2 minutes ago, Mykesbass said:

This. I had two. Certainly not the source of any muddiness. Would have still had them apart from a rare pair of Purple Chili cabs came up on here.

I think it was the general principle I was commenting on - that as the speaker moves the air it may actually be the most important part of the rig - rather than commenting on the Fender Rumble per se!

7 minutes ago, SimonK said:

I think it was the general principle I was commenting on - that as the speaker moves the air it may actually be the most important part of the rig - rather than commenting on the Fender Rumble per se!

Fair enough, but looks like the OP's comment on the sound quality (as opposed to volume) was through the line out. 

@WrexhamBassist I'd seriously suggest trying a second Rumble 12. They do turn up fairly regularly and will be a relatively budget conscious first step to sorting this problem.

• Like 1

On 19/02/2024 at 00:10, Downunderwonder said:

This. You may even find the full TC wattage through twin cabs quite loud enough without need of MOAR POWER.

Two cabs is like having 2 times the watts just for being more efficient at converting power into sound than one cab. Then you actually do get something like half as much power again out of the amp at 4 ohms, so there's an extra kick from that too.

TLDR, two cabs is vastly louder than one cab when there is a small amp.

I agree 2 8 Ohm cabs will move more air, plus you the amp will actually operate at almost double power at the 4 Ohm it is rated at, and that the 2 8 Ohm cabs equals to.

Get an additional 8 Ohm cab, that is my advice.

Will be louder than a 500W amp also rated at 4 Ohm though that single 8 Ohm cab you got now.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

17 hours ago, SimonK said:

I think it was the general principle I was commenting on - that as the speaker moves the air it may actually be the most important part of the rig

Within reason. A speaker merely reproduces what is fed to it. A high quality cab won't sound any good if the signal is poor or inadequate.

By the same token no matter what the signal a highly colored speaker will highly influence the result. This is particularly of interest with respect to vintage sound, as the tone of the electric bass was very much defined by the shortcomings of the available speakers of the day, and they weren't very good.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

By the same token no matter what the signal a highly colored speaker will highly influence the result. This is particularly of interest with respect to vintage sound, as the tone of the electric bass was very much defined by the shortcomings of the available speakers of the day, and they weren't very good.

True. Many years ago, I had the Bassman 135 head plus the matching 2x15 cab. One of the drivers blew, so I replaced them with Peavey Black Widows (which were highly rated at the time and not cheap). The difference in quality was enormous and I got at least twice the volume from the rig because of the improved efficiency. The original drivers were terrible things, with flimsy pressed frames and a cone that had been made by bending a strip of card into a circle. It had a large glued seam running front to back. Considering the Bassman rig was not cheap in its day, the drivers were awful. I dread to think what went into cheaper cabs.

Edited by Dan Dare