Why become a member? ×

*sorted* I have a grand a want a fully carved double bass.

Guest subaudio

Guest subaudio

I can also add my Zeller hybrid as trade for the right bass, I'm based in central London

Edited by subaudio

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='subaudio' post='487140' date='May 13 2009, 06:55 PM']I can also add my Zeller hybrid as trade for the right bass, I'm based in central London[/quote]
Hi

I am a beginner on stand up. (But already play electric bass)

am interested in buying a Zeller.

Would you be interested >

Thanks

david

Unless you're lucky I would think that you will struggle to get a proper fully carved instrument for that money. The point really, at that budget, is how does the instrument sound, whether it's laminate, carved wood or plastic for that matter. To get a really nicely crafted instrument with a strong fundamental tone will cost 10K plus (unless you're really lucky)
Old instruments are generally recognised for what they are and since the massive export to the US of tons of old instruments in the last 15yrs the prices have risen steadily. To get a new fully carved instrument by someone who can really make wood sing you just have to think of the man hours put into making an instrument (It's a lot) urgo the price.

So.... IMO at your budget don't think about provenance or how it's made just try some basses and choose the one that sounds right. (or start saving)

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='mantekka' post='502132' date='May 31 2009, 10:39 AM']A few options at [url="http://www.thomann.de/ie/search.html?gk=trstka&bn=&pr=800a1200&kf=on&oa=pra&wgfid1=9618&wgf9618=3%2F4&wgfid2=9619&wgf9619=4&wgfid3=7424&wgfid4=9616&wgfid5=7425&wgfid6=9617"]Thomann.de[/url][/quote]
I'd be surprised if any of those basses were anything better than mediocre at best

Guest subaudio

[quote name='jakesbass' post='502272' date='May 31 2009, 02:00 PM']Unless you're lucky I would think that you will struggle to get a proper fully carved instrument for that money. The point really, at that budget, is how does the instrument sound, whether it's laminate, carved wood or plastic for that matter. To get a really nicely crafted instrument with a strong fundamental tone will cost 10K plus (unless you're really lucky)
Old instruments are generally recognised for what they are and since the massive export to the US of tons of old instruments in the last 15yrs the prices have risen steadily. To get a new fully carved instrument by someone who can really make wood sing you just have to think of the man hours put into making an instrument (It's a lot) urgo the price.

So.... IMO at your budget don't think about provenance or how it's made just try some basses and choose the one that sounds right. (or start saving)[/quote]

Hi Jakebass

Yep, it's slowly dawning on me that your completley right, so it looks like my beans on toast diet continues :)

[quote name='subaudio' post='502740' date='Jun 1 2009, 07:23 AM']Hi Jakebass

Yep, it's slowly dawning on me that your completley right, so it looks like my beans on toast diet continues :)[/quote]

Hi, give this guy a call/email/visit, not too far from London village and he's always had a good range when I've been ...

Peter Tyler (Double Basses)
Sales, restorations, repairs

Address:
Dorney Reach
Berkshire
Maidenhead
SL6 0DW

Phone Number: 01628 621 560

Fax Number: 0870 0562 128

eMail: [email protected]

Contact Person: Peter Tyler

Cheers,

Simon

Guest subaudio

[quote name='wordsetcetera' post='502920' date='Jun 1 2009, 01:31 PM']Hi, give this guy a call/email/visit, not too far from London village and he's always had a good range when I've been ...

Peter Tyler (Double Basses)
Sales, restorations, repairs

Address:
Dorney Reach
Berkshire
Maidenhead
SL6 0DW

Phone Number: 01628 621 560

Fax Number: 0870 0562 128

eMail: [email protected]

Contact Person: Peter Tyler

Cheers,

Simon[/quote]

Hi

Thanks for that mate, I have just emailed him

Cheers

Marti

Guest Jecklin

What don't you like about your zeller, or rather what do you want to improve?

Where abouts in London are you?

You can try my bass for comparison.

Thomas

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='jakesbass' post='502272' date='May 31 2009, 02:00 PM']Unless you're lucky I would think that you will struggle to get a proper fully carved instrument for that money. The point really, at that budget, is how does the instrument sound, whether it's laminate, carved wood or plastic for that matter. To get a really nicely crafted instrument with a strong fundamental tone will cost 10K plus (unless you're really lucky)

So.... IMO at your budget don't think about provenance or how it's made just try some basses and choose the one that sounds right. (or start saving)[/quote]
While this is essentially good advice, can i put a word in for Paul Bryants basses (www.paulbryant.com).
A pupil of mine recently bought a Bryant direct from the maker (Kidderminster) and I think he paid around 5k for it. A lovely sounding bass. Obviously it has that slightly boxy "new" sound but with playing and the passage of time it will be a very nice instrument. If there is any downside with Paul's basses, its the finish, which is a little lacking in attention to detail.
Another pupil turned up recently with a Chinese bass which he bought second hand for 2.5k. Again a very nice sounding bass. I think he was very lucky with this one but I think the Chines basses are improving all the time.
Clearly, if you want a professional quality bass, you have to pay top money. A colleague of mine recently bought an old Italian for 35k - fantastic sound, but now she is up to her neck in debt !

Tally ho
The Major
(Major F Minor)

Stenton make a fully carved double bass, for a bit over a grand. Im still looking for my first Double bass and times running out. They also do a Hybrid for around 700 i think. Check out normans.co.uk.

Any advise for me aswell, people say thomans ones arent that great mediaocre, but there a good price and look nice. Also there s that ebay shop in germany that sells decent enough ones.

Guest subaudio

[quote name='fatgoogle' post='515050' date='Jun 16 2009, 10:06 AM']Stenton make a fully carved double bass, for a bit over a grand. Im still looking for my first Double bass and times running out. They also do a Hybrid for around 700 i think. Check out normans.co.uk.

Any advise for me aswell, people say thomans ones arent that great mediaocre, but there a good price and look nice. Also there s that ebay shop in germany that sells decent enough ones.[/quote]

Hi mate

Thanks for the link, I hadnt seen that one before.

Zellers/Stentors are good solid basses and with a little work even a cheap one will get you out and gigging, I would say try a few before you buy one, double basses arent like electric basses, they vary very much between instrument to instrument, remeber you get what you pay for, a very cheap new bass probably wont last very long before you out grow it. and I would say most new basses under £1000 generally need money spent on them for a set up at the very least least.

Guest subaudio

[quote name='therealting' post='515825' date='Jun 16 2009, 10:23 PM']Funnily enough, I just bought a carved all-solid Zeller for under a grand.[/quote]

Hiya

Nice one ! how are you getting on with it ?

[quote name='subaudio' post='516017' date='Jun 17 2009, 07:04 AM']Hiya

Nice one ! how are you getting on with it ?[/quote]

Only had it a week, but I'm liking it.

I started lessons on DB in October, and have been using the school's hybrid bass (I am a schoolteacher) in the school orchestra. Okay bass, but the strings aren't great, action is very high and the spike is broken meaning I had to play seated, and the height of the seat was critical.

Had the first opportunity to play my "new" Zeller (I think it's about 7 years old) in the school orchestra, and it is worlds apart. The violinists on the other side of the room were the first to comment on the improved projection. I am also enjoying being able to play standing up. I will eventually need to get it set up (and possibly get the bridge replaced), but even as is, it's great.

Guest subaudio

[quote name='therealting' post='516061' date='Jun 17 2009, 07:46 AM']Only had it a week, but I'm liking it.

I started lessons on DB in October, and have been using the school's hybrid bass (I am a schoolteacher) in the school orchestra. Okay bass, but the strings aren't great, action is very high and the spike is broken meaning I had to play seated, and the height of the seat was critical.

Had the first opportunity to play my "new" Zeller (I think it's about 7 years old) in the school orchestra, and it is worlds apart. The violinists on the other side of the room were the first to comment on the improved projection. I am also enjoying being able to play standing up. I will eventually need to get it set up (and possibly get the bridge replaced), but even as is, it's great.[/quote]

Nice one, there are good basses out there that dont require a morgage, okay a bass for around a grand will never compare to those instruments tonaly but you can still have a nice sounding and playable bass.

[quote name='subaudio' post='516171' date='Jun 17 2009, 10:03 AM']Nice one, there are good basses out there that dont require a morgage, okay a bass for around a grand will never compare to those instruments tonaly but you can still have a nice sounding and playable bass.[/quote]

I think I will wait until I am a decent player before I splash out on anything over a grand... as it stands, this is much nicer than most student instruments.

Guest subaudio

[quote name='therealting' post='516678' date='Jun 17 2009, 05:41 PM']I think I will wait until I am a decent player before I splash out on anything over a grand... as it stands, this is much nicer than most student instruments.[/quote]

I agree, it looks like a really nice bass.

Mate, ive found it

not even Talkbass has a bad word against one

There from Czech

Can you guess

You can order them straight from the factory

I thought it was too good to be true

It Wasnt

[url="http://www.strunal.cz/new/index.php?cat=products"]http://www.strunal.cz/new/index.php?cat=products[/url]

Email them and theyll send you a price list

Im not sure if its something you want but it looks damn good.

Hope it helps

[quote name='subaudio' post='487140' date='May 13 2009, 06:55 PM']I can also add my Zeller hybrid as trade for the right bass, I'm based in central London[/quote]
Ask yourself why you want a fully carved bass. At the price point you are talking about there's nothing much out there. Those that are available at that price will need a few hundred pounds to get them set up properly. Obviously you want to improve on your present bass. IMO you shouldn't get hung up on the Fully Carved thing. consider a good ply or hybrid. Don't act rashly. Better to save your money for something you can live with. You should also consider whether or not you will be mostly playing amplified or ampless. If the former then there is really no benefit whatsoever in having a fully carved bass. A cheap ply bass well set up and with a good pick up is worth much more in terms of playability etc than a poorly set up cheap carved. My advice would be to stick with your Zeller and start saving towards something that lights your fire. Go and play other basses from reputable dealers.
best regards peter

Guest subaudio

Sorted !!!!

Many thanks to all for all your very helpfull advice, in the end I bought Merchants bass, and i am very happy with it, and I would like to say he is an absolute gentleman who couldnt have been more patient and helpfull.

Thanks again all

Marti

[quote name='subaudio' post='527419' date='Jun 29 2009, 08:16 AM']Sorted !!!!

Many thanks to all for all your very helpfull advice, in the end I bought Merchants bass, and i am very happy with it, and I would like to say he is an absolute gentleman who couldnt have been more patient and helpfull.

Thanks again all

Marti[/quote]

Well done Sub, it looked like a really nice bass. Enjoy!

Guest subaudio

[quote name='bassace' post='527462' date='Jun 29 2009, 09:38 AM']Well done Sub, it looked like a really nice bass. Enjoy![/quote]

Thank you :) now the fun starts with finding a pick up it likes .........

[quote name='subaudio' post='527705' date='Jun 29 2009, 01:32 PM']Thank you :) now the fun starts with finding a pick up it likes .........[/quote]

Well, my stock of redundant pickups is nearly exhausted. I have a very thinned down Revolution Solo that you would be welcome to try and then buy/return. Otherwise I swear by an Underwood. Interestingly most of the players I saw at Upton Jazz festival over the weekend used one, including the esteemed Jakesbass.