Why become a member? ×

What do these screws on my bridge do?

I just recently purchased a Jackson Spectra Pro SBP IV bass guitar, and I'm trying to familiarize myself with the bridge so I can properly intonate and set it up. I have attached 3 pictures showing the different tiny little Allen head screws on the bridge. I know the screws circled in red are for moving the saddles back and forth, and the screws circled in blue are for adjusting the string height. What I am wondering is what the screws in the final picture that are circled in green do? Are they just there to lock down the height adjustment part? Sorry, but I don't know the name of the the black part that the strings actually sit on. String retainers maybe? The pictures I've included should make answering this question a bit easier I believe. Thank you to everyone and especially to whoever answers this for me!

red.jpeg

blue.jpeg

green.jpeg

6 minutes ago, bassmaster4000 said:

I'm trying to familiarize myself with the bridge so I can properly intonate and set it up.

You slacken them so you can slide the saddle back/forth for intonation, then tighten them up when done.

To get lower/raise action you slacken these screws then use the two on the top.

SaddleHeight.JPG.6647c74dd7211f2277084346871da444.JPG

If you need to go lower you can file a bit off the bottom.

GrindSaddles(1).jpg.3549ba6b0af1fcb8cf20144e4e748c6d.jpgGrindSaddles(2).jpg.10d0b5a644d3e0e84398519023bf9c5b.jpgGrindSaddles(3).jpg.48b001e4a30867e8caab2ff3a1f89690.jpg

You can also do the same with the sides to slightly adjust string spacing as the grub screw holds it block in postion.

SaddleWidth.JPG.26a9fc2ed683770425058df8bf3425c6.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes - as above

The red ones: loosen them to slide the whole block backwards or forwards to set your intonation.  Re-tighten when you're happy with the position

The green ones: loosen to allow the saddles to move up or down (see blue below) and, again, re-tighten once you are happy with the heights.

The blue ones: to raise or lower the saddles once you've loosened the locking stud, circled green above.

• Thanks 1

On 12/02/2024 at 09:47, kodiakblair said:

You can also do the same with the sides to slightly adjust string spacing as the grub screw holds it block in position.

SaddleWidth.JPG.26a9fc2ed683770425058df8bf3425c6.JPG

That is great to know about filing the saddle to slightly adjust the string spacing. I never thought of that. 

One final question regarding the correct names of the parts. So is the saddle just the black piece (refer to my photos) that actually touches the strings and can be moved up and down? Or is the saddle the whole assembly that contains the black piece and the part it's connected to that slides back and forth? Thanks again for all your help.

33 minutes ago, bassmaster4000 said:

One final question regarding the correct names of the parts.

Doubt these are the correct terms.

I refer to the black block for string height as the 'saddle block', the housing it sits in as the 'slide' and the whole thing as a 'mono saddle' 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bassmaster4000 said:

One final question regarding the correct names of the parts. So is the saddle just the black piece (refer to my photos) that actually touches the strings and can be moved up and down? Or is the saddle the whole assembly that contains the black piece and the part it's connected to that slides back and forth? Thanks again for all your help.

As long as you know what you mean, that's the most important thing.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, neepheid said:

As long as you know what you mean, that's the most important thing.

That's not true at all.

Insert Antonio Banderas meme about misunderstandings here.

Everyone has to be on the same page or folks are getting the wrong end of several sticks.

Most bridges have adjustable saddles. There are all kinds of arrangements but the thing in common is the saddle is the part that the string rides on. That's why it is called the saddle.

2 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

That's not true at all.

Insert Antonio Banderas meme about misunderstandings here.

Everyone has to be on the same page or folks are getting the wrong end of several sticks.

Most bridges have adjustable saddles. There are all kinds of arrangements but the thing in common is the saddle is the part that the string rides on. That's why it is called the saddle.

I know what saddle means, you pompous ar$e! :D

I am talking within the context of this thread.  The OP was very clear about the information they wanted and they received it.  This last part is specifically about what to call the nitty-gritty individual component parts of this particular bridge saddle.  I would suggest that there's very little harm in lumping the little insert bit in with the thing it slots into and calling it a saddle, especially when it comes to regular maintenance and adjustment.  The only time I can see it being an issue is if, heaven forbid, the OP had to buy a replacement part.  Then, I'd be super specific and use diagrams to explain exactly what it is I am looking for.  The OP is clearly already very adept at using diagrams in this way to get across their meaning, so I'm not overly worried about it.

Have you got an official term for the bit-wot-carries-the-saddle in this type of arrangement?  A horse, perhaps?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, neepheid said:

I know what saddle means, you pompous ar$e! :D

I am talking within the context of this thread.  The OP was very clear about the information they wanted and they received it.  This last part is specifically about what to call the nitty-gritty individual component parts of this particular bridge saddle.  I would suggest that there's very little harm in lumping the little insert bit in with the thing it slots into and calling it a saddle, especially when it comes to regular maintenance and adjustment.  The only time I can see it being an issue is if, heaven forbid, the OP had to buy a replacement part.  Then, I'd be super specific and use diagrams to explain exactly what it is I am looking for.  The OP is clearly already very adept at using diagrams in this way to get across their meaning, so I'm not overly worried about it.

Have you got an official term for the bit-wot-carries-the-saddle in this type of arrangement?  A horse, perhaps?

I would use the term "saddle insert" for the black bit and "saddle" for the whole block. Hipshot uses this terminology - https://www.bassdirect.co.uk/product/hipshot-kickass-saddle-set/

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, tauzero said:

I would use the term "saddle insert" for the black bit and "saddle" for the whole block. Hipshot uses this terminology - https://www.bassdirect.co.uk/product/hipshot-kickass-saddle-set/

That seems sensible. I'm going to keep using "horse" for the underneath bit, can't get it out of my head now :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you guys so much for clearing things up for me. Saddle insert definitely sounds like the proper terminology. Horse is a great name too though lol. It definitely makes sense to call it that 🤣 I really appreciate everyone who took their time to comment and help clear these things up for me. I understand that to some people proper terminology isn't very important, but to me it's crucial. I like to do all my own work when it comes to upgrading and fixing my guitars and basses. Because I buy all my parts online, I need to know the correct terminology.

• Like 2