Why become a member? ×

So I got a 5 string Ibanez GSRM25 Mikro Bass that I haven't played much, but I just picked it up and discovered that it is actually a great instrument that I want to play more (I have it tuned to G standard tuning, as in 3 half steps higher than the 5 upper strings of a 6 string bass in regular B standard tuning, as the scale length is just 28.6", and I actually enjoy this tuning, lending itself more to melodic play and chord work).

The frets were perfectly leveled right from factory, despite this being a cheap budget instrument, and I can get as low action as I prefer without any fret buzz whatsoever (and could easily go lower if I wanted without any issues), even with a really minimal neck relief.

However the fret ends are slightly protruding from the sides of the neck/fret board, I guess what you call sharp fret ends/edges, causing it to be a bit unpleasant to move the fretting hand up and down the neck, unless careful.

So question is now, how would I go about fixing this (filing/sanding whatever is the best approach), without ruining neither the frets, fretboard or neck?

And what tools would I need to do this properly?

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

There are YouTube etc videos showing doing this with flexible sanding blocks. 

Smoothing and rounding the fret edges and "rolling" the fretboard edge to give a "deluxe" feel to eg an inexpensive Affinity Strat.

And using progressively finer grit to achieve a polished finish.

Tip: if in UK - Superdrug sell a nail filing block with different grits on the four faces.

Obvs this would be more difficult with Stainless Steel frets but guessing that's not the case here or with less expensive instruments.

• Like 1

I'd go Med/Fine Sanding Sponge... Fine Sanding Sponge... I've also used Halfords Bodywork Sponges.

Steady Eddie otherwise you get a 'Scallop' as well as a 'Rolled' edge...

But a bit of the both looks kinda nice.

Then on to the nail blocks... got a load from Aliexpress... great for a fretboard and fret clean.

Also used to knock-off a sticky glossy neck, and great with wax on a wood body.

• Thanks 1

Put masking tape on your fretboard whatever you do to protect it. Then one of the methods already described - the Stewmac tool that ezbass suggested is very good.

For final polish though, a Dremel with a polishing wheel and some very fine cutting compound (Meguiars ultimate compound is my favourite) will give you a lovely professional finish

• Like 1

On 07/02/2024 at 21:50, rmorris said:

There are YouTube etc videos showing doing this with flexible sanding blocks. 

Smoothing and rounding the fret edges and "rolling" the fretboard edge to give a "deluxe" feel to eg an inexpensive Affinity Strat.

And using progressively finer grit to achieve a polished finish.

Tip: if in UK - Superdrug sell a nail filing block with different grits on the four faces.

Obvs this would be more difficult with Stainless Steel frets but guessing that's not the case here or with less expensive instruments.

Note to my own post - don't do this if you have a bound neck 😳

Edited by rmorris
Typo
  • Like 2