Why become a member? ×

Thumb Fin...yes, you read that right, Thumb Fin!

jd56hawk

15 hours ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

I use the inside of the rear edge of the soundhole on acoustics (if the Kingman has one!)

It does have one. I tried that and my hand just doesn't sit right there. And when I used a feedback buster I got black rubber all over my thumb lol.

Quoting from that notreble marketing blurb

“By reducing tendon stress with Thumb Fin’s ergonomic design you will be able to more naturally focus on technique while optimizing joint health,”

Can't say i ever felt i needed a thumb rest, or needed one to reduce "tendon stress".

IMO it's going to encourage bad technique and make it likelier to increase stress by encouraging a static anchored position.

If you really want to focus on technique, this is not the answer.  

I think one of the best cheap thumbrest solutions is those adhesive rubber feet, like you get on the bottom of pedals. I got a load of black 3M rectangular ones for a few quid and use one on my stingray in the position of a jazz bass neck pickup.

Does the job, stays in place and, if you want to take it off, you can remove any glue residue with a little rubbing alcohol.

Doesn't look too bad either, especially on a black scratchplate. You can also get clear ones for other colours.

Edited by bakerster135

On 09/03/2024 at 18:24, Gwilym said:

Quoting from that notreble marketing blurb

“By reducing tendon stress with Thumb Fin’s ergonomic design you will be able to more naturally focus on technique while optimizing joint health,”

Can't say i ever felt i needed a thumb rest, or needed one to reduce "tendon stress".

IMO it's going to encourage bad technique and make it likelier to increase stress by encouraging a static anchored position.

If you really want to focus on technique, this is not the answer.  

Definitely agree, and floating thumb is definitely healthy technique in terms of right-hand fingering on the top three strings. A rest is very helpful if you're needing to hammer away on the E for any length of time though, although I find certain pickup tops are a bit too far away from the string, e.g. Precision

On 10/02/2024 at 14:55, Baloney Balderdash said:

N0 Fin 4 m3.

Thumb Fin 4b0u7 17 Cm5 4 B7 Gmm1cky 2 m3, 4nd nu7 ju57 T n4M.

Bu7 m4B 17 S ju57 m3.

Getting pretty deep into those jazz chords...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1