Why become a member? ×

Broken LED case

NHM

The plastic case on one of our band's LED lights has broken, the area immediately around one of the tilt locks has come away from the body. Can anyone recommend a glue that will bond onto this sort of plastic? The light is worth repairing as it is a really good piece of kit, even though it was an inexpensive Chinese import. Pictures below.

Any advice will be gratefully appreciated. (It looks as though it has already been repaired, in a former life)

a5be03dd-b5af-4198-882f-93224547bb67.jpg

good side

fbe6c4ae-4252-4ab9-a01d-c973bf419f8b.jpg

bad side

Edited by NHM
pics now attached

yes, we've got the insert. I too was thinking Araldite, just wondered whether anyone had experience with this type of hard plastic before I try something that might be hard to remove if it doesn't work.

Aradite should do it for sure, especially if you add some ‘keying in’ points (some small cuts with a craft knife should do the trick). However, I’d go for regular Araldite, not the rapid, as I’ve found this isn’t as long lasting as it once was.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'd be inclined to open the casing (if you can) and instead of re-using the insert, get a flanged nut of the same thread size and put that in place of the insert with the flange on the inside of the case, fixed in place using Araldite, the goddess of repairs.

• Like 2

thanks for the tips - the fitting has been successfully Araldited along with an internal reinforcement patch and it stood up to being gigged at the weekend. The tilt lock knob was removed and replaced with a standard bolt, to take stress off the joint (the led has tilt locks on both sides of the yoke, so it now runs on just one which is entirely adequate). Happy days!🤩

• Like 1