Why become a member? ×

Kay KB-20 shorty Ric-type thing

Paul S

A turd that can be polished or best flushed away?  

Just wondering if it might be worth investing in a change of bridge and pickups, purely to get a playable, lightweight, short scale faker.   

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Paul S said:

A turd that can be polished or best flushed away?  

Just wondering if it might be worth investing in a change of bridge and pickups, purely to get a playable, lightweight, short scale faker.   

Never had one of these but I've had 2x Kay KB24 P copies & a K32 Strat - and they're not particularly well-made or nice to play. The necks, made from mahogany ply, were fat, heavy and badly fretted with thin, sharp-ended wire. Like a lot of ultra-budget stuff from this era I expect it's pot luck whether you'd get a playable/fixable one or a firewood dog - and it's not like there's much choice with these, they're mercifully rare!

It's not quite cheap & cheerful (£495) but Retrovibe have this appealing little (30.5") shorty, seems reasonably light at 7.4lbs too:

https://retrovibe.co.uk/product/retrovibe-rc30-lil-richard-short-scale-bass-30-6-scale-with-stinger-preamp/

RC30-Surf-both-1-scaled.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you, Jon.  Talked me out of it. :D 

However, those L'il Richards look interesting!  I had no idea they existed.  Off the peg the slab body would be a deal breaker but if one came up secondhand it could be worth butchering!

How does it play now though?  If it plays nicely, and something is holding it back, change the thing and have a nice unique thing.

I had a dog of a Kay P.  Nothing would have improved that beyond the cleansing power of fire.  Yours may be different though!

Edited by Pea Turgh
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Pea Turgh said:

@Maudedid an awesome job on an old Kay.  Damned if I can find the thread now!

Indeed, a fine job.  Maude has a whole raft of skills that , when being handed out, missed me completely.