Why become a member? ×

The weight of my bass.

nilorius

14 minutes ago, RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE said:

It does seam that their are a lot more Americanisations taking over on this side of the pond . Neighbor , mom etc

I try not too get to angry tho. Looks like you payed a lot for that nice base though 😬

I bought it for 1000e at an exhibition in 2004. - where i was sent from my job. I worked as a manager at music instrument and gear shop at my country. It's hand crafted in Italy by luthier D'alessandro.

• Like 1

It's not a weight I would even tolerate these days, mostly because I'm gigging more now than I have in a very long time, and I'm older than I've ever been...I had a 78 Jazz about ten years ago which was pushing 12lbs, and I never gigged that, I moved it on pretty quickly. Then again, it was just a Jazz, and not a very good one at that.

If it helps with perspective, I'm still on the lookout for a light main gigging bass, and I'm not even considering anything over 7lbs...

3 hours ago, tegs07 said:

I get the feeling many basschatters are old blokes typing on a PC with a big screen and keyboard. The yoof use mobile devices and their thumbs and don’t do ponderous one fingered typing. Throw in auto correct and the output isn’t always pretty.

You got me in one.

I'm not bad a grammar, but can still make silly mistakes, punctuation is a nightmare, where do apostrophes and commas really go, and I can't spell for toffee. Everything I type goes through spellcheck, and even a search engine when spellcheck doesn't look right, which sometimes it isn't.

Getting back to heavy basses, I played my nearly 9 3/4lb bass yesterday. Only 4 songs but that was more than enough for my back. My 6 3/4lb bass is definitely going to get more playing time.

Maybe it doesn't help you, but you're the only person who can say whether it's too heavy for you or not. 🤷

Personally, that would be way too heavy for me, I'd really struggle on a gig. I'm strong, I can support the weight no problem, but those little niggly aches and fatigue coming in ruins the experience for me, and ultimately means I don't play my best and wish for the end of the gig to come. I've sold basses much lighter than yours for this reason. 

Edited by TRBboy
  • Like 1

I had a 3.3kg Bass, so now anything too much more than that seems like unncecessary hard work and discomfort. Saying that though, I wouldn't mind having a 6kg Bass if it was one I only used at home and sitting down and the erganomics meant the weight was resting comfortably on my lap and the strap and I wasn't fighting it being un-balanced, it's sometimes quite good then to have a Bass that is well anchored. But I do 3hr rehearsals once a week, and 90min gigs every few weeks and they are all standing up so I would not want anything above about 4kg for that.