Why become a member? ×

Wiiiiiide straps

I have three wide Couch straps. They are not the cheapest as they are handmade but I don't use leather so I've managed to get three as gifts over the last couple of years. Being over 50, my shoulder is fairly knackered these days so I find them to be essential. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/01/2024 at 18:59, Schlippy said:

I gots me a bad back, so I likes me a nice wide strap. Spread the weight and all that.

What kind of bad back? Problems with posture, muscles or discs? What weight is your bass?

If you have lumber disc issues the strap will matter less.

We should always use good supportive straps, but a lighter bass could also be the right solution.

2 hours ago, chris_b said:

What kind of bad back? Problems with posture, muscles or discs? What weight is your bass?

If you have lumber disc issues the strap will matter less.

We should always use good supportive straps, but a lighter bass could also be the right solution.

Fully herniated L5/S1, treated it so far by building up legs, core & upper back to take as much load off my spine as possible and I use the lightest bass I can stomach (SG). Even with all that the strap still makes a big difference, a standard 2 inch leather / nylon strap gets uncomfortable within an hour where as a wider, padded one can sit on my shoulder for much longer before the weight becomes an issue.

Love playing my Jaguar but I end up paying for it the next day if I carry it for a full two hours, so I've been pretty much short scale only for the last couple of years.

• Like 1

Another vote for the Neotech Mega Strap. I've got a Comfort Strapp too, but I prefer the Neotech. The Comfort Strapp design is comfortable, but too stretchy, whereas the Neotech feels more solid, but retains the same level of comfort and relieves the weight of the bass. Neither is too grippy - which I prefer - I'm not too fond of suede-backed straps that tug on your shirt.