Why become a member? ×

Help me identify this cort?? Bass

bassfungr

I saw this bass in a local list, but i cant find anything about it. I guess its a modded cort?? The owner knows nothing about it. Can somebody give me a hint on what year - model it is?? And this HS configuration is it worth it? Should i better check for a j ,p or pj bass? Thanks in advance.Screenshot_20240118-003534.thumb.png.9d28785d8803a1f19cb81cf4ddc25b6b.png

I have no idea what model it is, but Cort guitars and basses are known to be amazing value for the money, and generally of high quality.

And neck/midle single coil pickup and bridge humbucker does make a lot of sense.

I do however suspect that the bridge MM pickup might have been added later by an owner (it looks very different design wise/aesthetically from the neck/middle pickup), which however doesn't automatically make it bad.

You say it's for sale locally, so how about trying it out, and if it plays and sounds great (however not on that amp in that picture, as that with most certainty will make every bass, no matter how great that bass otherwise might be, sound like crap), have no obvious flaws (old strings and a bad setup is not a flaw and can be easily remedied), and is otherwise reasonably priced, buy it.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

Cort make many basses that never make it to their official list, however, this combo of pickups and control plate does look unusual. As @Baloney Balderdashsays, they make great basses. They also offer great value as they don't hold their prices, so could be a great, inexpensive bass to have some fun with.

Edited by Mykesbass

Appears to be a GB54 or GB34 with the scratchplate removed and replaced with just a control plate. The pickup configuration looks stock and was very common on the GB.

Edit: to clarify, there have been many updates to the GB series through the years where the appearance of the model changed considerably. This includes body shape, features and pickup configurations. The current GB series looks more Fender-like and has the controls mounted directly to the body instead of a pickguard. The one in this thread is an older model. Some versions of the GB54 had black hardware, so this could also be a GB34. Definitely older GB series though. 

Edited by LeftyJ
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, LeftyJ said:

Appears to be a GB54 or GB34 with the scratchplate removed and replaced with just a control plate. The pickup configuration looks stock and was very common on the GB.

Edit: to clarify, there have been many updates to the GB series through the years where the appearance of the model changed considerably. This includes body shape, features and pickup configurations. The current GB series looks more Fender-like and has the controls mounted directly to the body instead of a pickguard. The one in this thread is an older model. Some versions of the GB54 had black hardware, so this could also be a GB34. Definitely older GB series though. 

Just opened the picture - when I first replied it looked like a soapbar in the J position. I can now see it is a J sitting in a route. So yes, going with the above, an early 00 GB series. Decent bass.

Thats an early Cort GB54 modded with a soapbar pickup on the neck. I personally wouldn't but depends on what the seller is asking. But like above have said.. Cort make excellent instruments, of course they make Lakland's so that says it all. But Lakland (Asia) use USA electronics and pickups from their USA built basses and send them back to Chicago for a final setup and plek so that makes a MASSIVE difference. It shows. Im not sure Cort do this..