Why become a member? ×

Sandberg action (California TM5)

Hausbass

Recently bought a Sandberg California online. First Sandberg and took a risk with buying before trying. I've found the action really high and, even with the saddles dropped to the max, the action is still very high. It's about 4-5mm at the 12th fret which is higher than what I'm used to. 

Might have to send it back if I can't get it lower but was wondering if anyone else has any Sandberg experience and if this is normal? 

Just out of interest have you unscrewed all the screws on the saddles? From memory it's not just the screws at the front that adjusts the height.
My first Sandberg had the same issue and once I'd bothered to read the adjustment instructions properly rather than dive in head first I got it just right for me.

That and the truss rod of course for fear of sounding totally patronising. 

• Like 2

I had a new Sandberg which was set up really nice on arrival from the factory , I lowered the action to really low for my preference but I did find the bridge difficult to adjust at first as I’m used to fender bridges, but as above I read the manual and it was ok , the neck was dead straight too 

Congratulations on buying a Sandberg @Hausbass

I have two Sandbergs and they came set up perfect for my way of playing so I've never touched the bridge or the truss rod.

That said having a look at the instruction manual left me a bit puzzled by how to operate it so I saved a YouTube video as I thought it may become useful some day, perhaps it may be of use to you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaFO0PnB_ZE

17 hours ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

Just out of interest have you unscrewed all the screws on the saddles? From memory it's not just the screws at the front that adjusts the height.
My first Sandberg had the same issue and once I'd bothered to read the adjustment instructions properly rather than dive in head first I got it just right for me.

That and the truss rod of course for fear of sounding totally patronising. 

Exactly right, there is one locking screw in each saddle you need to loosen off before you can adjust the saddle. 👌

@Hausbass if you have successfully lowered the saddles and it's still high, does it need some relief taking out of the neck? 

I've had 9 Sandbergs (I think 🤔), 4 of them were custom builds direct from Sandberg and they all arrived perfectly set up.

Thanks for the suggestions. 

I did give the instructions a read and got all the saddles slammed to the base of the bridge. From the factor, the B and G were on the deck to start with with the rest slightly higher. The neck is dead straight so the only thing I could do is give it some back bow but I'm not sure what effect it will have. I think I'm just used to lower actions so this is relatively high to me. 

• Like 1