Why become a member? ×

Eden WT400

Pow_22

Ive read lots about these supposed ‘classic’ old amps but have never heard one in person. Ive picked up a cheapo Eden cab recently and the OCD nature in me has me looking at Eden heads. Research suggests they are clean but warm amps where the pre amp valve does very little i.e no breakup or growl but a general even deep/warm tone.  I do like a slight ‘valveyness’ to my tone and a little growl but do have a few pre amp pedals that could provide this if needed. So, whilst they appear to have been discontinued for a while and eden are not the same of old does anyone here use one that can chip in with tonal comments?

Edited by Pow_22
  • Like 1

The older Eden heads are brilliant pieces of kit and indeed greatly underrated. They appear to have fallen from grace for some reason? If by chance you are looking for a combo (and can handle 72lb) then look no further than the Eden Metro 210 They are first class.
Like most of the heads, they need very little adjustment to get a great sound. Set everything at 12 o’clock and you are more or less there. Beautiful fat creamy bass tone. However, the combo and the heads are far from one trick ponies, they have a vast range of tonal possibilities. 

• Like 3

I've got  wt 400 and 550 heads and a metro combo.  I'm a big fan of the 90's /2000's  world tour heads.  I also like all valve heads and would say the eden heads are kind of valvelike in that they can be smooth,warm  and "soft" sounding but as previously mentioned not in terms of distortion or natural overdrive.  They also have very variable eq with lots of possibilities.  As I say I'm a big fan and consider them to be one of the best solid state alternatives for people who are used to or prefer valve amps because they have very little "harshness" in the sound. As a bonus the wt 400/550 are compact and fit perfectly on a barefaced 10 stack.

Edited by Tdw
  • Like 1

Funny enough, I just bought one.. spontaneous, but I wanted to experience the love they get (got).. and to compare it to my Thunderfunk. I expect it later this week. I'll post again when i get it.

• Thanks 1

Picked up the WT400 yesterday and had a quick blast with two guitars in the rehearsal room. My first impressions are really positive and can't wait to try with the drummer too. I played my P bass and with everything flat lovely warm full low end but with a pleasant amount of low mids/mids that also come across as smooth. Dial in the enhance knob and it's really lush. The other thing which surprised me is how even the P bass sounded across it's range. I dialed in a load of low end for some muted thumb plucking, and boy it moved some air. Absolutely plenty of rehearsal room power, so i don't think i'll ever have any issues as I don't play many backline gigs. Cranked the Gain which gave a slight amount blur to the low E, but otherwise clean tone. I cranked the gain almost full before it triggered the clip and compressor lights.. thought that was a bit weird, but then again, my Thunderfunk is the similar in that regard.

At the price i picked mine up for i'm stoked. Took it home after and popped it on top of a 1x12 'practice rig' and yeah, I see what all the fuss was about.

Edited by Jaybeevee
typo
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The WT Eden amps are like the Rolls Royce of amps in my view. Just a great classy full sound, something I never got from the many class D amps I’ve owned. That said I’ve got the WTX500 too and even that’s got a lovely warm tone. Complete with the WT speaker it weighs a ton…but sounds phenomenal! 
IMG_6510.thumb.jpeg.00865a8f5e6a53dbe7604347221c8ad9.jpeg

• Like 2

I did a shoot out.. WT400 against my Thunderfunk..  jazz bass through 2 TKS 1126 cabs

The Eden is warmer and fatter than the TF, the TF comes across as more focused low end and a little more defined. It didn't take too many tweaks to get them sounding quite similar..

In a nut shell, and as close as I can tell, the Eden has a bump at around 250, cut this frequency a little and its in Thunderfunk territory. That said, the Eden still has a warmth that I couldn't dial out. Another thing with the Eden is how little EQ is required. just a couple of clicks cut or boost really makes a difference. I really like it. With the 250 cut a little, I boosted just a smidge at around 1.2K and bit of treble (shelved at 2k) and it was snarly. I added a touch of bass, and it gave a terrific Pick tone. All flat, enhance at 12 and treble rolled off.. great dub type tone. The EQ will really deliver a wide array of tones, but always with that Eden warmth or thickness. I'm still surprised by how much I can crank the gain before the clip or compressor lights flicker. I can basically max it out, but It doesn't feel intuitive at all, so I back it off, but still play loads of gain into the pre amp.

I bought the WT400 really to satisfy the 'enthusiast' in me and intend to mainly use it at home, but tonight I will give it a run out with one of my side projects.. see how it fairs in a band rehearsal setting.

I have a WT800 (USA) head and absolutely love it. As stated above, it's a lovely warm sound with a valvey creaminess to it. EQ is excellent and detailed but tbh, it sounds great with everything at 12 o'clock. It's a heavy beast though so doesn't get used all of the time. I reckon it's the best sounding amp I've had along with my Weber Mywatt which is top quality, all valve and hand wired. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 29/01/2024 at 08:25, Jaybeevee said:

I'm still surprised by how much I can crank the gain before the clip or compressor lights flicker. I can basically max it out, but It doesn't feel intuitive at all, so I back it off, but still play loads of gain into the pre amp.

I bought the WT400 really to satisfy the 'enthusiast' in me and intend to mainly use it at home, but tonight I will give it a run out with one of my side projects.. see how it fairs in a band rehearsal setting.

And what a fool I am lol.. it cut out twice because I was driving the pre-amp whey too hard.. but I can now comment on the '400w isn't enough' that often crops up around this amp.. I ran it rehearsal through 2x TKS 1126. These cabs are really cracking, go really deep but only have 94db sensitivity.. They are designed to be run with powerful amps (based on the spec sheet) with the Eden falling just below the recommended amp power. Could just about keep up, but no head room.. swapped over to 2 X TKS H115 with 101db sensitivity and a lower amp rating and had plenty of power, so defo a useable amp when paired to the right cab(s). It sounded really great with the 15s I have to say, really suited each other well. Comments from the band a-plenty.