Why become a member? ×

Ibanez SdGr SR300 sound issues?

Robbo

Happy New Year Folks haven’t posted anything in quite some time due to general lack of time and interest.

But new year and hopefully a new start, I’ll cut to the chase I just gave up on Bass due to my wife being very ill I just didn’t think it was worth carrying on but a friend was selling an Ibanez SR300 it’s a fairly old one I payed £80 for it but it’s very unbalanced sound wise, the bass nob is one of those stacked nobs and very muffled, the strings are old and seem dead so wondering if this could be the problem, maybe needs a replacement battery too. Was just wondering if I gave it a new set of strings and replaced the battery if this would help, apologies if this is a stupid question but I’m a late starter and I’m in my 60s now and very inexperienced technically and attempting to to make a new start again, but slightly disappointed with my purchase, i practice with headphones and playing through a small Blackstar guitar 10w combo as I haven’t got a bass amp. Any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks 

A new battery is always the first step. If the bass knob is stacked, that means it's most likely bass on the bottom and treble on top, but there are quite a few versions of the SR300 so a picture would help identify exactly what you've got.

I'm guessing the EQ has both cut and boost functionality. There should be a centre detent in the travel of the stacked knobs. This is where they're neither cutting nor boosting. Set them there and see if the sound clears up. Boosting the bass will give you the muffled sound you describe so don't just turn everything up full. But let's start with a pic if you can to help identify the version of SR300.

im a big ibby fan, its a sr500 is my avatar pic.  (not saying im an expert ive just experienced these issues)

ive always noticed a drop in levels in the SR range immediately if the batt power drops

Also the power can drop if it sites idle and is not used.do the battery first then the strings

Don't forget to unplug the jack lead from the bass when not playing, as it's the jack plug that switches on the battery for the active pre-amp. Leaving the lead plugged in all the time will drain the battery (Not Good...). A decent battery should last several months of 'normal' use, but far less if the bass lead is not removed. Hope this helps. :friends:

1 hour ago, Doctor J said:

A new battery is always the first step. If the bass knob is stacked, that means it's most likely bass on the bottom and treble on top, but there are quite a few versions of the SR300 so a picture would help identify exactly what you've got.

I'm guessing the EQ has both cut and boost functionality. There should be a centre detent in the travel of the stacked knobs. This is where they're neither cutting nor boosting. Set them there and see if the sound clears up. Boosting the bass will give you the muffled sound you describe so don't just turn everything up full. But let's start with a pic if you can to help identify the version of SR300.

Thanks I will try upload some pics but I’m not very tech savvy lol, but will try my best 

1 hour ago, christhammer666 said:

im a big ibby fan, its a sr500 is my avatar pic.  (not saying im an expert ive just experienced these issues)

ive always noticed a drop in levels in the SR range immediately if the batt power drops

Also the power can drop if it sites idle and is not used.do the battery first then the strings

Thanks for the advice will do 

13 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Don't forget to unplug the jack lead from the bass when not playing, as it's the jack plug that switches on the battery for the active pre-amp. Leaving the lead plugged in all the time will drain the battery (Not Good...). A decent battery should last several months of 'normal' use, but far less if the bass lead is not removed. Hope this helps. :friends:

Thanks 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, TimR said:

What do the strings sound like when it's unamplified?

A flat battery will give you more of a distorted sound but for £4 that's the first thing to try. 

Thanks 

Ok, I’d be happy to have a look at it if it’s any help? If you trust me enough to take it away for a couple of days? Just get yourself a set of strings and I’ll put them on for you and give it a quick setup. Obviously if there’s an electrical issue that’s a different story, and it would need some professional help, but I’d be happy to have a look at it.

Ibanez SR basses, all of them at all price points are great basses. £80 is a bargain if it can be set up nicely.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rayman said:

I’m in Macclesfield, but I go all over the country for work. Where in Lincolnshire?

Thanks for your offer Rayman, I am going to pick up a new battery and order a set of new strings just going to put another post up for string recommendations but I’m sure I’ll be able to sort it myself, the string height seems pretty good to be honest, I think the problem is the strings are dead and the battery is probably coming to the end of its life, but thank you for your advice and offer, appreciated.

• Like 2

No problem at all, if you’re stuck, let me know. Good strings… Ernie Ball 45-100, the pink packet, great strings and easily available. 👍🏻

Edited by Rayman
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Rayman said:

No problem at all, if you’re stuck, let me know. Good strings… Ernie Ball 45-100, the pink packet, great strings and easily available. 👍🏻

Thanks and will do, cheers 

• Like 1

Loves an Ibby SR... £80 Bargain...

Yep Strings and a Battery... All-Done for under a Ton!

But, the Guitar amp won't be doing you any favours...

Have a look on Faceache or Gumtree and see whats local.

You need to post a pic of the bass them are the rules...