Why become a member? ×

Things that can be nippy on basses!

andy67

Ibanez SR1605

In common with almost all SRs, it has the slanted jack which is great if you have a straight jack, but a real pain with wireless or right angles. Also the bass body is a bit light so with the standard gotohs it is head heavy. Fixed with ultralight tuners

Ibanez 5005

The weight of a small sun, a real pain for a 3 hour gig, and as a result I haven't used it in a while

Bongo 5

Headstock hits every wall within 1km. The knobs are very easily turned by the gig bag, so before playing I have to check they are all in the right place or I might not have a speaker cone when I play

Maruszczyk l24 elwood

As standard the screws were made of cheese. Have replaced them. The stock bridge pickup is not great, but I know that was a choice.

Ibanez AGB205

Good acoustically, but plugged in so bassy and lacking sparkle even with new strings

Spector Euro 5

Pretty heavy. 

Ibanez EHB1505

The locking jack (mine doesn't any more). The knobs were cheap on an expensive guitar. The body is really soft and mine got dented easily

Shuker uberhorn

The pickups are quite microphonic. Doesn't usually matter, but meant I couldn't use the backbeat with it because too much feedback. I probably should get it looked at

Squier Mustang CV

When I first got it the pickup was microphonic, had to widen the hole in the pickguard to stop that.

Ibanez TMB35

Electronics were as cheap as anything, so much so the tone control lead came off. The bridge pickup is a waste of time, very noisy and unshielded. Very head heavy

Ibanez SR1000

Pots go scratchy almost immediately and are next to impossible to replace

Hohner B2V

Mostly dull and lifeless. A bit irritating as I had a 4 string one that wasn't, but it was lacking a string, so I got the 5 string one and it is basically not as good. Both suffered from what is described up there though,  can never get the right fret on the neck when starting.

Chapman Stick Railboard

Heavy, hard to position in your lap for playing without bloodloss, a bit restrictive when standing. Requires a better brain for playing well than mine.

43 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Chapman Stick Railboard

Heavy, hard to position in your lap for playing without bloodloss, a bit restrictive when standing. Requires a better brain for playing well than mine.

Also necessitates you having a belt on and wearing your trousers like Simon Cowell. In addition to having to tuck your shirt in.

All sticks are fashion disasters waiting to happen.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

Shuker uberhorn

The pickups are quite microphonic. Doesn't usually matter, but meant I couldn't use the backbeat with it because too much feedback. I probably should get it looked at

I took mine from a single MM + ACG filter pre to 2 J soapbars + East Uni Pre. I LOVED the bass but could not get with the original electrics. SO worth it. It is beyond lush. 

11 minutes ago, Owen said:

I took mine from a single MM + ACG filter pre to 2 J soapbars + East Uni Pre. I LOVED the bass but could not get with the original electrics. SO worth it. It is beyond lush. 

The electrics are fine - the pickups are delano humbuckers in a J style case and east pre. I love the electronics, but you can hear the strap moving through the output, so I guess they are just too rigidly held or undamped or something. Not much room to get any other type of pickup in though

Dingwall D-Roc
Terrible upper fret access. If you want anything above the 17th you bought the wrong thing (luckily, I get away with it in my band).

Dingwall Combustion 
2 pickups but 3 routes under the pickguard. Thus having the pickguard off is not an pretty option unless you install another pickup (which I actually might).

MTD Kingston Super 
Satin finish easily damaged, doesn't dent - it chips. Total strip and refin will have to take place if it takes a bad knock in an obvious place.

Truss rod hidden beneath plate at neck heel slowing on the fly changes down.

Ibanez SR1206
Lower output than all of my other basses unless I crank the preamp, I think this is the Nordstrand Big Singles not having the huge output I assumed they would.

Recessed jack socket means I can't use my Boss Wireless unit unless I somehow reseat the jack out further via washers.

Truss rod adjustment impossible without removing 3 screws from the fancy wood cover. Then you have to detune it to get enough string flex to adjust.

Yamaha RBX6JM
Heavy (11 lbs), almost slab body not the most comfortable.

Whilst the inlays are a work of art, it makes finding the fret you want more difficult than if it was a blank board.

Truss rod recess too short making only the shortest of right angle Allen keys viable (Ibanez multitool does the job though).

Edited by Machines