Why become a member? ×

MB LMIII/Tube Vs Genz Benz Shuttlemax 6.0

Musicman20

Right, I was almost set on a GK...but I definitely need something thats the total other end of the amp spectrum cf to my Orange. EG, very light and compact. I know the GKs dont weigh much but id love something in the micro market.

Im very interested in the MB LMIII, LMTube and the Genz Benz Shuttle Max 6.

Firstly, would I need the 800W versions of the MB gear? I dont know if its just overkill! Are the standard ones good enough? And does the Class D make a difference to the sound?

Secondly, what do they compare like to the GB Shuttlemax, and would the 12 be necessary?

Thanks!

Any reviews would be awesome!

Btw a lot of folk get on just fine with the standard LMII, Genz 6 etc. I use a LMII and it's plenty loud enough, we have a very loud drummer too

The larger power ratings of the more recent MB/Genz gear might not make too much difference either. I "upgraded" a rig a while ago to the higher rated model and it was pretty much the same!

I've owned both and they are quite different tones. The Genz is alot more hi-f but coloured nicely with the valve, has more of the highs and has a very powerful EQ. The Littlemark sounds louder simply due to the way they shape the amps out put but thats also why you loose some of the clarity from the highs. Both sound great if i ended up having either I'd go for the shuttle simply for the Valve but I think the littlemarks alot more transparent. The filters on the littlemark are alot of fun as well and once you get your head around them can add alot to the sound, I did find the eq was a little limited for real differences you had to dial in quite alot, if you heavily eq your bass id go with the shuttle. But if you like pure solidstate liteweight great tone ouf the box not much messing the littlemarks a winner.

I find alot more people get on with the markbass tone over the genz ortho i did take the shuttle up to moffat for a bash up there lately and everyone loved that too. If you can try them.

By both i ment the shuttle 6.0 and the markbass LMII. But also as a side note the Shuttle is the new hottest thing so if you can find one second hand you can sell it in hours if you don't like it and don't loose much selling it on either. But I did forget to mention that the shuttle is just stupidly lite i mean it's scary the amount of pure bas tone you can get out of a box thas 3lbs and about as big as a box of chocolates.

Thanks!

Im tempted to have a good look at the LM Tube as I was very impressed with the LM2 I tried. The LM3 is the same with a few extras I believe.

I definitely need to try the Genz. Itll be the new Max that Im after.

Im going to a/b them all very soon so can hopefully make a decision. I play in a loud hardcore punk band and my Orange really does the trick, but I need the lightweight for small gigs really. I might be the first bassist in a band like this with a MarkBass/Genz....its not the usually done thing! I am going to try a lot of other styles with it so slap tone is essential!

• 7 months later...

Hi guys!

In the end I went for the LM3. I loved how warm the response was.

I've not tried a shuttlemax, but I've recently tried a Shuttle 9 and it was not for me. After hearing the Orange tube sound I suppose it made me realise I like amps with full tubes, or non at all!

I've now also opted for the RH450, from TC Elec. The tube tone on that is fantastic considering there are no tubes!

I don't think the LMTube sounded much different to the one without really, but it looks cool and has some decent features!